Thread: 3.0 Promax Problems

dreamboater
    The last 2 times I have been out I have had problems with the same motor. Both motors start fine before I lauch the boat on the hose and start fine after that. I literally started the motors 10-15 times waiting for someone in a marina and no problems. After that, I ran for about 10 mins up to a local hang out and rafted up for the day. Upon leaving the port side motor does not want to fire. Both times I have idled for about 35-40 mins trying to start the motors every 3-5 mins or so. After the long idle the motors start right up??? I can shut them down at that point and they still start right up. Anyone else experiencing these kind of problems??? Looking for some help, thanks a lot. This has been very frustrating!!

Dreamboater,
    I have 300 Promaxs and I recently ran into a problem with the Primer bulbs sucking shut. there is a check valve in the bulbs that gets worn out and will start to stick on you. My engine would just die and wouldn't start unless I primed it. The bulb was sucked shut. Try replacing those. They are pretty cheap and it may be your problem.
    Tony

dreamboater
    Dreamboater,
    I have 300 Promaxs and I recently ran into a problem with the Primer bulbs sucking shut. there is a check valve in the bulbs that gets worn out and will start to stick on you. My engine would just die and wouldn't start unless I primed it. The bulb was sucked shut. Try replacing those. They are pretty cheap and it may be your problem.
    Tony
    Thanks for the info. I will check those out.

Screaming Pete
    I had the same problem at least 4 times this summer myself

dreamboater
    I had the same problem at least 4 times this summer myself
    Same problem meaning the primer bulbs stuck shut??

Screaming Pete
    Same problem meaning the primer bulbs stuck shut??
    Yes, Heat related, 105 degree weather

TUNNEL T
    HEY GUYS ,if you guys are running anywhere between 100 hrs of run time on ca. fuels i really recomend cleaning the filters in the fuel system , (inside the vapor separator , the little green micron filters before the injectors, and the one in the regulator ,also don't forget the ten dollar fuel pump! just my two cents . TUNNEL T

Havasu Cig
    I had a similar problem on one of my 2.5's in 2000. It ended up being some type of sensor (I think related to the crank shaft). I got to the point where I was afraid to get to far from the ramp because I was never sure if it would fire back up. I second the reccomendation of taking it to lakeland.

Boatmaster
    HEY GUYS ,if you guys are running anywhere between 100 hrs of run time on ca. fuels i really recomend cleaning the filters in the fuel system , (inside the vapor separator , the little green micron filters before the injectors, and the one in the regulator ,also don't forget the ten dollar fuel pump! just my two cents . TUNNEL T
    T beat me to the punch. Problem you are having is very common due to a dirty fuel system on 300 Pro Maxs. Primer bulb is also cheap and a good think to check like JBG said.