Thread: Shoe Depth

Instigator
    Set my pump last year, was told I should end up with 1/4 to 3/8 in of the shoe below the keel line. That's where it ended up when I set the pump at the 4 degree recommendation. Now we are setting the pump in a friends boat and the shoe is ending up above the keel, biting no water. We are thinking the intake and shoe was set up wrong by a previous owner. Mine was an 18ft V bottom, his is a 19 CP gull wing. I figure you need to have the shoe bite some water, and tune from there. I've seen lake boats with 1/2 in of shoe hanging down. We just have 500-600 hp pleasure jets. I know somebody on here can give us some guidelines, or tell us what they are running. HELP !!!!

There is a chance the intake was machined too far and the shoe sits too shallow, or maybe the shoe is just shallow and needs to be shimmed down..Thats the beauty of having an intake machined for a shoe, its fully adjustable.I reccomend getting the intake set as good as you can and build a shoe that works well for that particular set up.Id also reccomend a 2 degree backcut on that CP. A good starting point is to set the deepest part of the backcut shoe even with the keel, the deepest part of a backcut is where the shoe meets the rideplate. If its a flat or tapered shoe start out with the biting edge even or just ABOVE the keel line. From what I have seen, the CP doesnt like a ton of biting edge unlike other boats.
    Post some pics with a straight edge/shoe relationship if you need more help.
    Good luck.

About your comment about having 1/2" of shoe below the keel line, thats questionable..Ya sure it might work on some stuff but its probaby a bandaid for another problem the boat has..
    Biting edges are generally in the ballpark of the keel...125 +/- of keel line..On a fast boat having all that shoe hanging down makes for a wild shutdown..If the boat responds to a ton of shoe Id look into other ways of picking up water..

lilrick
    my hornet seems to like the loader about an 1/8 inch below the keel, any lower and I slow down! need mo motor!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Set my pump last year, was told I should end up with 1/4 to 3/8 in of the shoe below the keel line. That's where it ended up when I set the pump at the 4 degree recommendation. Now we are setting the pump in a friends boat and the shoe is ending up above the keel, biting no water. We are thinking the intake and shoe was set up wrong by a previous owner. Mine was an 18ft V bottom, his is a 19 CP gull wing. I figure you need to have the shoe bite some water, and tune from there. I've seen lake boats with 1/2 in of shoe hanging down. We just have 500-600 hp pleasure jets. I know somebody on here can give us some guidelines, or tell us what they are running. HELP !!!!
    Chris has great info. He know pumps
    I just went through the same thing 2 days ago. Here is what I was told from several shops...........
    "Set the front of the intake and make sure that it is paralell to the keel. Next raise or lower the back of the intake untill you get 4 degrees. Then bolt the shoe on and measure the distance from keel to shoe. Rule of thumb is .125-.200 above keel. Once you have these measurements, set the intake with your putty."
    That is the info I recieved from about 6 different shops. They all pretty much said the same thing.

Instigator
    OK. So if the shoe on my boat is hanging 1/4 in below the keel is that wrong, even though the intake is set properly at 4 degrees? By the way, my friends boat is a TX 19, not a CP. I got confused.

OK. So if the shoe on my boat is hanging 1/4 in below the keel is that wrong, even though the intake is set properly at 4 degrees? By the way, my friends boat is a TX 19, not a CP. I got confused.
    We cannot say its wrong but it sounds excessive. You might want to try it with less shoe and see what happens, if there is a shim under your shoe you can remove it and go make a lap and see what happens, if there is not a shim you could machine the shoe down about a 1/4" and try that, if the boat slows down you could shim it back down in smaller increments till you found the sweet spot. Having too much shoe can slow you down.Keep in mind every boat is different, the set up you have in it could be just fine but until you try a differnt configuration you wont know.
    CP,TX same thing.

Instigator
    Thanks for the info, we are back on the right track now.