Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS technology

Unchained
    It seems that the technology is already out to accomplish something that would let someone calculate their own exact ET and MPH with out going to the track.
    The GPS is already calculating time and distance and reading out MPH.
    If the time and distance was read out as well as the MPH you would have what you need.
    This unit is already out, Runners wear it as a wristband.
    For our use you would have to be able to push a set button that would start the run and at that point the unit would calculate the distance and stop at the preset distance you wanted. Either 1/8 or 1/4 mile and read out your results.
    The GPS update speed would be a question but the units already interpolate between update times.
    Beyond that if the GPS info was relayed via a cellphone signal the data could be read at a location on shore, in a timing tower, or anywhere. There are cellphones out that have a GPS built in now.
    If two boat had the same unit and the remote location started the run when the two boats were lined up the ET and speed would be calculated.
    You wouldn't even need a course set up and the boats wouldn't need to be lined up exactly at the start.
    Input ?
    Any GPS tech experts out there ?
    Any software experts?

Taylorman
    I think i remember seeing something like that in a magazine a while back. I think it was a unit that mounted on the dash that would calculate 1/4 mile time. I'll see if i can find it.

cruser
    Taylorman,
    The unint you are talking about uses an accelerometer to calculate speed/time/eta whatever. The problem with that unit in a boat is that a boat does not accelerate on a hard surface like a car. The bouncing over waves, bow rise on take off etc degrade the accruacy of the accelerometer's readings. The make that work you would need multiple devices arranged 3 dimensionally to approach the accuracy of a measured/timed course.
    The gps deal does not take into account driver reaction times and the update times are way too slow. The fastest updates I have seen so far are 5 times per second. Interpolating between readings is fine if the acceleration is constant but would cause an overshoot as the boat tops out. Does sound like it could be used as a tuning tool though.

Unchained
    I've done some more research on this.
    This unit sounds like it has some merits. Too bad the guys in Norway and didn't post any contact information.
    http://personal.dynator.no/tracy/tracy.html
    Here's a thread describing it too.
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=26282
    http://www.gpsdash.com/overview.ppc2.php

Cas
    I'm finally figuring out (realizing) that GPS units aren't all that accurate. Last weekend, I put 3 GPS's side by side in my truck and all 3 read something different. Not only was it with Max Speed but also with Av Speed, location and elevation. They were within a couple of mph on the max but which one is right? 10 minutes went by and they changed but were still completely different. The one I thought was the closest at first glance was now showing I was going NE and the other 2 showed I was going E.
    I'm heading out again right now for a long drive and going to check them again.

malcolm
    We noticed two yellow GPSs gave up different top speeds over at Moses Lake this summer. Turned out mine was the slow one, I knew it!

Unchained
    This unit really looks promising,
    Accelleration mapped at 100 times / sec.
    http://www.roadtune.co.uk/dynostar.shtml
    This place is in Scotland and the price is 250.00 of what ever their currency is.

If the exchange is in UK pounds it would be.
    $388.50
    If in Eurodollars it would be.
    $300.91
    Not too bad even if in UK pounds.
    Taylorman,
    The unit you are talking about uses an accelerometer to calculate speed/time/eta whatever. The problem with that unit in a boat is that a boat does not accelerate on a hard surface like a car. The bouncing over waves, bow rise on take off etc degrade the accruacy of the accelerometer's readings. To make that work you would need multiple devices arranged 3 dimensionally to approach the accuracy of a measured/timed course.
    Interesting take on the accelerometer. I'd still be curious as to how it well it would work in a boat.

We noticed two yellow GPSs gave up different top speeds over at Moses Lake this summer. Turned out mine was the slow one, I knew it!
    I'm certain mine is slow too :wink:

Duane HTP
    We use a Vericom VC-200. It measures speed, thrust, distance, and time. Not exactly accurate, but gives you a good handle on effects of changes you might make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast