Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes @ NJBA

"LONG TERM" means OLD FARTS like YOU and ME.
    "SHORT TERM" means everybody else. :smile:
    Exactumundo!

Probably means a throttle stop device. Its a computer controlled unit that opens the throttle at a desired rate.Alot of NHRA sportsman guys run em. Pretty lame if you ask me.
    It is lame ... but there are guys starting to dabble with this stuff out there, that is why we are looking to define the rule.
    The whole sandbagging thing comes into play here as well ... thus the need to eliminate the rule and define what everyone can use as equipment to make tuning fair.
    My input about the whole sandbagging issue was, that if the others out at Ming think that it already isn't happening, they're kidding themselves. I know that there are sooooo many ways to slow a boat down "that are currently happening that cannot be prooved from shore". So, why try to keep the rule around.
    The arguement that NJBA is different because of the rule are true, we are the only club that has it. The difference is though, we have 1/2 second brackets & no large payouts ... so there are 2 things to look at here:
    1) Why would someone try to "fender race" if there isn't a large payout or benefit to doing such a thing?
    2) We have .5 second brackets ... that's why we're different ... and should stay that way IMO ... it lets us offer something that no-one else does.
    Finally, what made NJBA cool in the past to me and still cool to me today ... it's the fact that you can still drive an open boat faster than in any other organization ... 7.70's are too slow for me ... I believe anything faster than 7.0's is where a capsule should be instituted ... jet, flat or hydro ...
    Just my .02 ...
    Brian

screamdreambrad
    Imo, Get Rid Of Half Second Brackets, Let Everybody Race And Pay Twice As Much With The Same Amount Of Money Brought In! My Boat Won't And Alot Of Others As Well Run The Number Without Nitrous. So I Either Waste My Time In 9.0. Or I Slow Down And (sandbag)in The 9.50 Bracket. Or Run Nitrous,run 8.60 And Get My Ass Handed To Me Everytime By Hot Tub. No Brainer For Me.

Getting rid of the .5 brackets will probably never happen ... no biggie for me as I run 7.0's ... but I know that most members like the .5 brackets ...
    Shoot look at the 8.50 - 8.99 bracket, there's usually 6-8 boat fields, so what do we do stick them with the 8-10 boat field of the 8.0 - 8.49 bracket?
    I know all of the 8.50 guys wouldn't like that ... so what, we slow them down?
    And what happens to the guys in the 7.50 bracket? They come race with me or slow down and clog up that larger 16-18 boat class already made in the 8 second range?
    I think if we did that, we would loose boats to IHBA due to the purses available over there for running in a full second bracket. Why would someone dial in their boat for an 8 second bracket and run with us when they could run PE and win cash (maybe)?
    I think we offer a different program ... and we should keep it the way it is if we want to keep our racers. Otherwise, we should just quit and run IHBA all together. :squiggle:

bp
    It is lame ... but there are guys starting to dabble with this stuff out there, that is why we are looking to define the rule.
    my only issue with this is the way that the rule is written. technically as written, you would not be allowed to have a mechanical throttle stop to prevent over travel of your carb linkage. the rule should be written to prevent electronic or pneumatic throttle stops being installed between the throttle and the linkage, cable operated only. mechanical stops to prevent overtravel are there for safety purposes, and required by most racing organizations.
    1) Why would someone try to "fender race" if there isn't a large payout or benefit to doing such a thing?
    i would just ask you this brian, or anybody else for that matter; when was the last time ANYBODY was dq'd at an njba race for actually "fender racing", which IS sandbagging? THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS WHOLE ARGUMENT SO LUDICROUS TO BEGIN WITH! if someone did see a race close enough for "fender racing" to take place at an njba race, they'd be so wrapped up in seeing a close race they wouldn't even notice if somebody "fender raced" or not. let's be honest here. what kind of sandbagging have people been disqualified for over the past 5-10 years? here are a few examples that come to mind:
    boats a and b start their engines, both launch. boat a forgot to turn on his fuel pump and dies 300' out. boat b eases out in the lights. boat b is dq'd for sandbagging. boat a never engaged in a race. boat a advances.
    boat a fails to start on the rope. boat b starts and launches. boat b, having no competition, backs off at 1000' and is dq'd for sandbagging. boat a advances.
    boat a fails to start on the rope. boat b starts and launches. boat b, with no competition, has his popoff lift for no reason before the lights, and is dq'd. boat a is advanced.
    boats a and b start. boat a launches, .15 r/t. boat b launches with a 4.5 r/t. boat a, with no competition eases out at the lights and is dq'd. boat b advances.
    the list goes on and on. none of these examples are remotely connected to sandbagging, or "fender racing". if the rule were only applied when actual fender racing occurred, it would be one thing, but it isn't, hasn't, and never will be. i've tried to use common sense and logic with people about this, that hasn't worked; the only alternative is to unload the rule. i can race with it or without it (obviously), but the examples above are just plain WRONG, and that's just about the only time this rule comes into play.
    2) We have .5 second brackets ... that's why we're different ... and should stay that way IMO ... it lets us offer something that no-one else does.
    Finally, what made NJBA cool in the past to me and still cool to me today ... it's the fact that you can still drive an open boat faster than in any other organization ... 7.70's are too slow for me ... I believe anything faster than 7.0's is where a capsule should be instituted ... jet, flat or hydro ...
    Just my .02 ...
    Brian
    i agree that the brackets should just work themselves out. as long as a class has a minimum boat count, it should be allowed to run. but as long as we force a boat to advance to the next faster class, rather than giving him the option of going to the next faster or next slower class when his/her class has no other boats, they will stay home. there should be an option. personally, i don't care if a 9.50 or quicker boat has to come into the 10 because there's nowhere else to go, with the rule change.
    i say let people run the bracket they want to run.

i would just ask you this brian, or anybody else for that matter; when was the last time ANYBODY was dq'd at an njba race for actually "fender racing", which IS sandbagging? THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS WHOLE ARGUMENT SO LUDICROUS TO BEGIN WITH! if someone did see a race close enough for "fender racing" to take place at an njba race, they'd be so wrapped up in seeing a close race they wouldn't even notice if somebody "fender raced" or not. let's be honest here.
    I agree completely. We should get rid of it, like I said, it's already happening ... and if we try to look at what the "rule" is ... it is too grey to put into perspective ... and I don't like grey areas as I am now the guy who has to make the judgement call. I say make it black and white ... or better yet, get rid of it all together! It would make it so much better if it would go away IMO!
    i agree that the brackets should just work themselves out. as long as a class has a minimum boat count, it should be allowed to run. but as long as we force a boat to advance to the next faster class, rather than giving him the option of going to the next faster or next slower class when his/her class has no other boats, they will stay home. there should be an option. personally, i don't care if a 9.50 or quicker boat has to come into the 10 because there's nowhere else to go, with the rule change.
    i say let people run the bracket they want to run.
    I again agree ... give the choice to the racer ... but that is what is nice about the club, the members can vote on changes (if the proposed rule change isn't too far out of line ... asking for stuff like free registration passes for winners will never make it to the ballot).
    But, again, as I said in the past to everyone ... you need to make your voice heard. So, if you are an NJBA member, you will receive a ballot soon ... fill it out and turn it in! Otherwise, you will not be heard, that is what happened last year ... and sandbagging is still here (more votes were turned in for keeping it than for deleting it ... it was like a 2 to 1 ratio ... after speaking to a lot of members, they said they didn't vote either way :hammer2: ).
    Vote or Die as P-Diddy said!

screamdreambrad
    [QUOTE=BUSBY]Getting rid of the .5 brackets will probably never happen ... no biggie for me as I run 7.0's ... but I know that most members like the .5 brackets ...
    Shoot look at the 8.50 - 8.99 bracket, there's usually 6-8 boat fields, so what do we do stick them with the 8-10 boat field of the 8.0 - 8.49 bracket?
    I know all of the 8.50 guys wouldn't like that ... so what, we slow them down?
    And what happens to the guys in the 7.50 bracket? They come race with me or slow down and clog up that larger 16-18 boat class already made in the 8 second range?
    I think if we did that, we would loos(maybe)?
    e boats to IHBA . that's exactly why i don't bring my boat there and race anymore brian. you just made my point. i can't tune two tenths into my boat.and can't run n20 to get it in the bracket. can't slow down to 9.5 so there you have it!

FuelInMyVeins82
    I'm just currious is there a reason for no nitrus in the brackets or just because you can sandbag w/ it?

screamdreambrad
    fuel, as far as i know, voodoo shit they are afraid of it. i guess the sandbag deal.

FuelInMyVeins82
    KInda strange can you run it in Pgj, or unblowen fuel? If so how do they justify that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast