Thread: coils, power and longevity

Blown 472
    can it be had?? I had a msd blaster fail and looking to replace it but dont want to have another die.

Liberator TJ1984
    HEI by Chebby

If its a standard oil filled Blaster you need to run within 30ยบ of vertical. Horizontal will fry em.
    If its a high vibration model 8222 you can run at any angle because they are potted with epoxy.
    Don't know whether that's your problem with the one you have but just throwing it out there.

DEL51
    Mike is right, run high vibration coil, or carry a spare.High vibration coils will last!

Blown 472
    I might try that one, I had the blaster ford replacment square coil and it moved around a little bit in the mount.

Mr Twister
    Something I heard was the new blaster coils (red) are now manufactured in Mexico and are prone to fail, there is a sticker on the bottom indicating country of manufacture. The chrome ones are still made in USA and supposedly better quality. BTW I had a new MSD 6 fail at 5 hours use. I had to drift back, that sucked.

Mr Twister:
    Something I heard was the new blaster coils (red) are now manufactured in Mexico and are prone to fail, there is a sticker on the bottom indicating country of manufacture. The chrome ones are still made in USA and supposedly better quality. BTW I had a new MSD 6 fail at 5 hours use. I had to drift back, that sucked. This very well might be. To date though we've had no coils fail that I'm aware of recently.