Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW Starter issues.

Keithb87
    Ok.. I took the Starter to the place that originaly "re-built" it. Had it re-built again. I think they forgot that it was a Clockwise (reverse spin) starter and rebuilt it wrong.. I reinstalled it and hit the key....
    Smoke from the starter..
    Where can I get a replacment CW (reverse) starter for a 460 Ford with Indmar Mounts?
    Or is there a reputable rebuilder in the Greater Phx area???

Squirtin Thunder
    I will let you know mine took a shit too !!!

GUGS102
    I always use Gen-Star, in Glendale, 63rd ave and Glendale. Family owned, been in business for years, they have done 3 starters and three altenators for me with no problem at all.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    2 words.....Bergeron marine and get your $$$$$$ out!!! Or be smart and put the regular bottom mount one in $50 at autozone all day long

Keithb87
    I took out the spark plugs yesterday to give the starter a chance to spin with no compression. Smoked it again. Would not even spin the motor. :burningm: :burningm:
    So I took out the starter and will be taking it back to "Start Smart" again. I'll give these guys one more chance to make it right.
    Then I guess it's off to more expensive means to have it done right. :sqeyes:

Keithb87
    Well......
    I went back to Start Mart at 755 N Country Club, Mesa, AZ 85201 and politely handed him the Starter that he has re-built 2 x's allready. I reminded him again that it is a Reverse Starter Or Clock Wise and that it smoied from the moment that I turned the key.
    Counter Guy wen to the back to talk to the Msterious re-build guy. After a minute or two Counter Guy came back and said "We can no longer get parts for your Starter."
    Then he refunded the money and sent me on my way. :yuk:
    It has been a fiasco from the get go on this.
    From the first day when they painted the starter gray. (ok so we repainted it) to the second time that I came back with the "Black" starter. His first response was "Our Starters are Gray." (that almost got the starter inserted into one of his body cavaties.) To today when all of the sudden he can not get parts for the Starter anymore..

Cole Sanger
    Consider yourself lucky that you got your money back. I haven't looked, but Summit/Jegs/REX Marine doesn't carry them? If they don't have it on their website, you can usually call them and and they will get one drop shipped from the manufacture. Just get it shipped overnight. If it smokes, you can always return it. Have you checked your wiring? I know it sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.

Keithb87
    Consider yourself lucky that you got your money back. I haven't looked, but Summit/Jegs/REX Marine doesn't carry them? If they don't have it on their website, you can usually call them and and they will get one drop shipped from the manufacture. Just get it shipped overnight. If it smokes, you can always return it. Have you checked your wiring? I know it sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.
    It worked for the first 1 1/2 days at the River. Then we had to get towed to the trailer.
    We towed it back to Mesa and I took it in . The wiring has not changed, only the starter has been rebuilt. I'm guessing that the re-builder guy changed something internally in the starter But I'm not sure.
    We will know better when I get it back from the other guy.
    I will pull the plugs so I don't overload the starter when I first re-install it. :coffeycup

Floored
    try these guys, they have always done good work for me and some friends http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=...:regT:17:fbT:0

Keithb87
    OK. I took the Starter to a place that obviously knew what they were doing.
    Still cheaper than a new starter $114.00 to rebuild.
    I installed it tonight, pulled all the plugs and gave it a whirl. :squiggle:
    It spun the motor loke it was nothing. ( Should with no plugs)
    Then I re-installed the plugs and wires, pumped the gas, hit the key and BAM She fired like there was never a problem.
    Like I said before Start Mart at 755 N Country Club, Mesa, AZ 85201 Will never get my business again..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast