Thread: New (as in Brand New out of the box) Ignition problems

gnarley
    Has anyone ever experienced the failure of a brand new ignition module or a distributor in the water after it was installed or tested and run in to verify the correct operation?
    So if anyone else has had this happen what are the failure rates of components we rely on and does anyone carry spare parts or modules?

disco_charger
    A bunch of years ago, I was at the NJBA races at Blue Water. There was a guy who raced Unblown Gas Jet in a light blue Scorpion. I think his name's Joe Podowski. I'm probably spellin it wrong. Anyhow he's the record holder and he puts in his new hi tech MSD box and Distributor. When he hits his third button, the thing sounds like it's missing on at least one. So this old trapper I know tells him to put his mag back in the boat. If it fixes it the old trapper wants to throw the MSD into the river. I think he set a record with the mag in. That was a while ago, and I've got to think they worked out the problems since then. I just don't like the idea of electronics and water together.
    Disco

spectras only
    I have an MSD system in my boat ,but plan on carry a mag as a backup,just in case.My state of the art Toshiba progressive scan tv just packed it in ,not even 2 years old.Fortunately I have two old [14 yrs]Mitsu and a Scott 27" in to back up.F...n electronics can ruin your day at any given time http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Costello
    Disco, Podowski crashed real bad in 1997 at Bakersfield doing around 137 mph in the UFJ class. As I recall the boat went through the lights and got the round win, sans Joe. I think he suffered a cracked vertebrae and got some teeth knocked out when the boat hit him.

disco_charger
    Damn, I hadn't heard. That boat was real fast, and Joe was about the nicest guy I ever met. The old trapper (Ed Wedge) had a tremendous amount of respect for him, and that alone made me impressed. I think that this was probably back in 89 or 90.
    Thanks for the info
    Disco