Thread: boat sinks on lift !!!

towel boy
    Bilge pump went out during a bad week of rain, covered batteries and switch and seems to have fried nearly everything, wires, switch, starter, trim pump and solenoids. With that much electricity in the water before the batteries died, do you think there might be some internal damage to bearings, gears etc, need some input please, thanks in advance, Marc

obnoxious001
    Was the engine under water, or is there water in the crankcase? I am guessing salt water? If it's in the engine, I would expect that you should pull it apart and clean and inspect everything. One of the old tricks when a race boat sunk was to draing and fill the crankcase with diesel until it could be attended to, to protect the parts from water damage. Others may disagree here, and I would like to have a better description of the facts.

towel boy
    I am wondering because of galvanic corrosion and electrolisis that the gears and bearings may have been pitted or such, injectors, etc , it is a 5.0 MPI with 134 hrs on it, don't want a lemon in the future for not doing the right thing !!

Jake W2
    What is the 5.0 MPI in?
    Jake

jdf
    when my flattie sank drained it and filled it diesel