Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 460 (super cobra jet heads)

Danhercules
    I have a 460 with SCJ heads. High rise manifold with 2 750DP and a set of headers.
    The cam is stock or close to stock. I have no clue what it is, in fact i am sure the bottom end is stock.
    This winter I am gonna rebuil the pump and look into cam and roller tip rockers.
    Now the ?'s What is a good size cam to run. I want more power, I am guessing I have about 400hp (friends tell me this). Are the heads good? Should I have them worked on. I dont want to run race gas. I have good intake flow and good exhaust flow. I think whats holding it back is the cam. I was told the heads are a good set. What do you guys think.
    Thanks for the help.
    Here are the numbers I got off the heads. 20439 and DOOE-R
    [ July 31, 2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Danhercules ]

Blown 472
    I had a set as they would not work in the rpm range my boat ran in, I put a set of dove's on and it ran much better.
    cj's are a big rpm head, but if you cam and cut your imp you could get into the rpm range they like.

Danhercules
    Right now I am running at 4500 RPM at WOT at 61 MPH.

SeaYaBye
    Two FoMoCo cams to consider;A-443 lift 562in 588ex dur234in 244ex or C-460 lift 588in 614ex or Isky 525 lift dur 278in 234ex. Those heads are good but need lots of rpm's. Try camming it and see what happens. Good Luck T.R.C

Danhercules
    SeaYaBye:
    Two FoMoCo cams to consider;A-443 lift 562in 588ex dur234in 244ex or C-460 lift 588in 614ex or Isky 525 lift dur 278in 234ex. Those heads are good but need lots of rpm's. Try camming it and see what happens. Good Luck T.R.C What else do I have to do to get lots of RPM"S? How do I now if my valve springs are strong enough? Do I have to do anything to the bottom end?
    I am new to the V8 world, so I may ask stupid questions. Thanks

Blown 472
    Danhercules:
    SeaYaBye:
    Two FoMoCo cams to consider;A-443 lift 562in 588ex dur234in 244ex or C-460 lift 588in 614ex or Isky 525 lift dur 278in 234ex. Those heads are good but need lots of rpm's. Try camming it and see what happens. Good Luck T.R.C What else do I have to do to get lots of RPM"S? How do I now if my valve springs are strong enough? Do I have to do anything to the bottom end?
    I am new to the V8 world, so I may ask stupid questions. Thanks If you are going to cam up, do buy the cam kit, lifters, springs, retainers, locks dont try to compromise on this as you will kill a cam, break a spring etc. One thing to look out for on the cj head on a 460 is the valve to piston clearance as these heads never cam stock on a 60 the valve reliefs do not match the valves as they are much bigger so if you cam up you MUST check that.
    Ask all the questions you want that is why we are here.

Danhercules
    Are you talking about the grooves or cut outs in the pistons? How is that checked?
    I was also told that the rocker ratio is 1.73 to 1. Dose that mean anything to the valve clearance?

SeaYaBye
    Your bottom end should be fine depending on how may hours are on it. As for the valve springs if there is any question go with stronger aftermarket ones to be sure and those roller rockers you spoke of. Also make sure your timing set up is the 429 gears. Most 460's have the set up that retards the timing 8 degrees[for smog regs] The 429 is a bolt on mod that helps[cheap too!] And no question is a stupid one[unless I ask it!!] T.R.C.

Blown 472
    Danhercules:
    Are you talking about the grooves or cut outs in the pistons? How is that checked?
    I was also told that the rocker ratio is 1.73 to 1. Dose that mean anything to the valve clearance? Yup, the 429 has one big ol cut in it for the intake and non for the exhaust, the 460 has a dish or four eyebrows but for some reason they dont really line up with the valve.
    The ratio is that, nope. bigger cam will affect that.

UtlGoa
    Here is the set up I'm running. 429 block with four bolt mains, 460 crank, super cobra jet heads, SVO intake manifold, 850 vac sec holley, clay smith solid cam and lifters, roller rockers, Manly stainless steel valves, titanium retainers and locks through transom exhaust.
    I never had a problem with the piston to valve clearance. I'm running trw forged piston's with the four valve reliefs. Call Clay Smith and have him set you up with what you need. He can set up your cam, springs, retainers, locks and lifters, and timing chain if you need it.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast