Im looking for some input. heres the deal. the end of last year i swapped out the 454 for a 502 crate motor. (truck conversion 502, not 502/502hp)in my 91 duelly. i am now planning on buying a new truck so the 454 is going back in and the 502 will most likely go in the 74 tahiti 18' jet that still has the 390 HP 455 olds. (unless i find a nice hull that i can afford) the 502 has less than 5000 miles on it. i realize i need to replace the cam, and will most likely get a set of edelbrock marine heads, (anyone use them?) i can get a smokin deal. friend of a friend thing. a victor jr intake, and probably a 850 holley DP. and of course a 10 gt pan. id hate to disturb the factory torque on the bottom end but i know all you motor builders would kill me if i didnt freshin everything up. would i be pissin in the wind if i didnt re-ring and new bearing it?
as for the edelbrock heads, which is more desireable, oval or rectangular? oval has 110 chambers that will bump me to about 9.5 to 1 comp. rec. has 118 chambers that keeps me at about 8.8 to 1 comp. what roller cam would you recommend? ive read on a motor building site about ordering your 502 with marine pistons and rings, what the heck does that mean? theres a differance?
im not looking for the fastest baddest boat, OBVIOUSLY. just a nice dependable and strong motor that runs pump fuel. it will be mated to a berkeley JC-A pump with place diverter, that is still nice but will be gone through again at time of motor swap. i know this isnt the jet forum but does anyone know if the A impeller will be ok with this 502. id say it will come close to 500 HP. (or am i totally wrong)
this is all going to be a winter project of course but i want to start researching everything now.
any and all recommendations and input is highly appreciated.