Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 502 crate

victorfb
    Hey jstwkd, thanks for the info. i too am planning on the edelbrocks but im going with the marine version. (oval port) and the victor intake, with an 850 holley DP. i did allready acquire a cam "comp cam XR288HR-10" it doesnt have the lift as yours does. mines is 521/540. but its allready in my garage. just curious though, how much do you want for your cam kit?
    about the oil presure, i know that you can get a higher bypass valve for the block. they are just little push in valves under the filter. im not sure if removing it entirely is an option or not. ill be researching that soon. were you saying there are more bypass valves in the oil pump aswell? will changing to a melling HV pump help this?
    and if you remember, which head gaskets did you use?
    hope you reach that 700HP man. thats gunna be awsome. sure would like to see that thing run. ever come down our way? colorado river?

jstwkd
    Victor,
    I'm looking for $800.00 For Cam,lifters,pushrods,springs,locks,and reatiners
    I'm not sure the engine biulder upped the oil press. I think he just shimmed the pump. I wanted a new pump but he told me they have a good pump allready. Just to change the press.

Racing Ray
    You gotta love that 502, at least I do. I run the truck version in my 94' Dually. I run Edlebrock's street heads and stock cam with Edlebrock's MPI conversion and headers.
    In my boat I chose the 502/502 shortblock with Edlebrock's Marine heads. Oval ports, Crane rockers and girdle. I changed out the stock 502HP cam with a slightly larger one from Crane. I use the RPM air gap intake with the 750 marine carb.
    A word of caution, be sure to have a good machine shop check valve guide clearance on those heads!!! Quite a few problems with tight guide clearance have been not only posted here but we just experienced it on the new Rectangular port heads we installed on my son's jet boat.

victorfb
    thanks for the tip. are you talking about the edelbrock marine heads having the tight clearances?

Racing Ray
    Yes I am talking about the Marine heads. Also some people including Pace GM Performance say you should put a higher spring pressure bypass in the block due to using a remote oil filter set-up.
    I bought one and was about to pull the engine back out to install it. First I checked my stock 454 Mercrusier block and found that they used the stock bypass springs so I decided to leave it alone. I just change filters more often.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123