Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phebus, how is your back?

Debbolas
    Hello!
    Please keep us up to date on your back situation..........do you have a surgery scheduled?
    Deb

phebus
    Deb, thanks for your concern. Tomorrow is the big day. Three level fusion at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. They will work through my abdomen to remove the discs, and place the bone grafts that they are taking from my hip, then flip me over, and enter my back to place the hardware. I can't wait, something happened about four days ago, and I have been in really bad pain since. My guess is I ruptured a disc again. I have doubled and tripled up on my pain meds, but nothing seems to help.
    How did your discectomy go? I hope it has relieved your pain, you sure have been through the ringer with your back.
    I will be off the boards for a while after today, but hopefully will get out of the hospital on Thurs., and will post again sometime after that, depending on my pain level, and drug level.
    Rick

Debbolas
    Please take care....remember a positive attitiude is VERY important.
    Also get up and walk as soon as you can, it will feel like your "not connected" but trust me, you can walk, and the sooner you walk the better. They will give you a "belt brace" that will help.
    I had this same operation. I had a C-section incision for the bottom two cages, then they flipped me on my side for the top cage, and opened my back to insert the rods. I had bone graft taken from my left hip to insert into the cages. The operation took 11 hours and I went through 7 pints of blood.
    This was a difficult operation to recover from, be patient. Keep thinking about getting back in your boat. We will have to have a "Phebus back run" when you are well enough.
    My last surgery went fine, I just waitied too long to have it. I feel better, but when I over do things, it hurts. I'm not 100% healed yet. Interesting, this last operation, my doc was going to take my hardware out as my back is all fused and it isn't needed anymore, but he was able to get to the blown disk without doing that....
    Be careful with your pain meds. I doubled up on mine and had a hell of a time backing off them. Of course I had taken them for two years. I think it's ok to take that type of medicine for a short term, just not two years.

I'm doing better now, and I KNOW you will be soon.
    Say "hey" to your lovely wife for me!
    (I go again for my 6mo mamogram/ultrasound next month :squiggle: )

Forkin' Crazy
    Damn.... :frown:
    Best of luck to you, phebus!!!!

Not So Fast
    No kidding, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Kilrtoy
    WOW, get some rest today and hopefully everything will be better tommorrow night and every night after........

Quality Time
    Three level fusion at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1.
    Same ones I had done.
    Best Wishes for a complete recovery.

blackcloud75
    Phebus,
    If ya' need any help with yard work, house maintenance, fetchin' beer, etc.
    Let me know........Good luck!
    Cory aka BC75

Supultlbich
    Deb, thanks for your concern. Tomorrow is the big day. Three level fusion at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. They will work through my abdomen to remove the discs, and place the bone grafts that they are taking from my hip, then flip me over, and enter my back to place the hardware. I can't wait, something happened about four days ago, and I have been in really bad pain since. My guess is I ruptured a disc again. I have doubled and tripled up on my pain meds, but nothing seems to help.
    How did your discectomy go? I hope it has relieved your pain, you sure have been through the ringer with your back.
    I will be off the boards for a while after today, but hopefully will get out of the hospital on Thurs., and will post again sometime after that, depending on my pain level, and drug level.
    Rick
    Rick, let us know if your family has any needs, or desires. We will be by the house to check in on you. With all of the USAR stuff going on it has been a little crazy, but we always have time for one of our own.
    Best of luck , and we will be thinking of you.
    Sean

JB in so cal
    Hang in there, Phebus. We're all thinking of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast