Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: F- Site Six!

Havasu Hangin'
    na site 6 is just a biatch, when the lake is low, lower ramp angle is steep, it's actually great when the lake is up and very easy for the one man launch thing. next time HH do this it works for me every single time!!!! at site six
    with the e-brake on
    put your rig in 2nd gear (not drive or low)
    apply some some gas till your "power braking" (no tire spin)
    with your foot or hand on the e-brake SLOWLY release it till you start to move, keep the e-brake at that position till the boat is up and out,, release the e-brake and your done. or just call me and I will pull you out with 2wd
    Oh...I had the e-brake going alright. I think that friggin ramp just hated me! No matter how slow I tried...it just kept pulling me backward.
    Wester's Tune + 4.56 gears + 33's = lots of wheel hop! :supp:
    It's pulled my truck in the water as well.
    At least it's not just me....I thought I was "special". :notam:
    PS- thanks for the help....I knew I could count on you guys.

2Driver
    That place will get the best of us. We launched there all the time when we lived in LHC. Slow and careful even then it can be frustrating.
    Your trailer goes 6' under real quick. Then, in only a couple feet of moving forward, WHAM, your trailer is coming out of the water and your boat is sitting on the trailer cockeyed.
    That is why Bob McCulloch used it for his secret test facilty for his outboards. You could back a boat in just a few feet and have it in 6' of water. Also.... back in those days old Mr Evinrude could'nt find him to see what he was up to in R&D as they battled it out for the Outboard Market. We know who won

spectras only
    HH , since you're thinking of refurbishing the trailer , I suggest to change over to electricly controlled brakes that stops while backing down [ I reckon you've got surge brakes :idea: ] . Your boat is way too heavy for the burb . My boat/trailer combo weighs 8380 lbs [1880 lbs overweight for the GC :redface: ] and no prob stopping when the ramp is dry. When the ramp is wet ,I put in low and drive down the ramp till the boat is bouyant . You should have seen our faces , when one of our pokerrun participant showed up with his 42 OL pulled behind a Chevy Yukon
    He's got a Freightliner on order though .

voodoomedman
    Is your tow vehicle a Chevy. If it is then do the second gear thing like he said. On Chevy trucks when you put it in second it is actually in second all the time and not just a max out in second. It is setup that way so you can get out of situations where you wheel is stuck and spinning because you are not getting all the torque with first gear.
    Oh...I had the e-brake going alright. I think that friggin ramp just hated me! No matter how slow I tried...it just kept pulling me backward.
    Wester's Tune + 4.56 gears + 33's = lots of wheel hop! :supp:
    At least it's not just me....I thought I was "special". :notam:
    PS- thanks for the help....I knew I could count on you guys.

Havasu Hangin'
    HH , since you're thinking of refurbishing the trailer , I suggest to change over to electricly controlled brakes that stops while backing down [ I reckon you've got surge brakes :idea: ] . Your boat is way too heavy for the burb . My boat/trailer combo weighs 8380 lbs [1880 lbs overweight for the GC :redface: ] and no prob stopping when the ramp is dry. When the ramp is wet ,I put in low and drive down the ramp till the boat is bouyant . You should have seen our faces , when one of our pokerrun participant showed up with his 42 OL pulled behind a Chevy Yukon
    He's got a Freightliner on order though .
    Hey Spectras...how's it going? I do have the electric over hydraulic brakes, but once underwater...I think those tires were sliding, too. I am going to switch to discs, though.
    My 8.1 (3/4 ton) Sub is rated for 12,000 lbs towing (19,000 lbs GCVW), so I am right on the limit (a little over with gas in the boat). I geared it down (4.56's), Wester's Tune, and put a 24,000 lb GCVW tranny cooler on it...and it does pretty good for a "grocery getter."
    I probably should have aired the truck tires down some- I still had a lot in there from the tow across the desert.

spectras only
    Hey Spectras...how's it going?
    Not too well as you can see in this picture :rollside: >
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202
    At least you guys don't have to worry about deadheads :devil:
    I probably should have aired the truck tires down some- I still had a lot in there from the tow across the desert.
    That would help :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
    Not too well as you can see in this picture http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202
    Sorry to see that...that really sucks. How much is that gonna cost?

Debbolas
    Our friends launched their 30ft boat safely enough there, but we couldn't get it out, without dragging the bottom of the trailer, the back tires float off of the ramp! :squiggle:
    They had to drive over to the Marina to pick us up.

spectras only
    Sorry to see that...that really sucks. How much is that gonna cost?
    $500 cdn , deductible that is . Collateral damage doing only 40 mph on the GPS. Good thing the drive hung on by the ext steering and trim cylinders ,so the bellows kept the water from entering through the bearing sinking the boat.
    I'll install another 1800 gph bilgepump for future endeavors .The coupler is ok since the drive shaft pulled out on the impact , the transom inner plate needs replacing ,because the bottom part of the casting cracked . The drive upper housing needs to be replaced because of the small left lip with the friction plates broken off . The s/s wingplates dug in the swimgrid and molding ,so fiberglass repairs need to be done too . I should replace the drives with jets and just triple the horsepower for the get go :idea:

ROZ
    You wouldn't have been in that mess had you bought a pool instead...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast