Thread: Induction questions

Unitek
    I have a 1990 Ariva (open bow) 18 ft boat with a brand new 350 merc and alpha one.
    Can I put a different induction on this boat, such as TPI or something. the boat has I think MPFI and it has alot of hesitation now that the new motor is in. boat tops out at 55 mph and I want to go at least 15 mph faster. This is a shallow bottom boat so It gets out of the water pretty easy. I also plan on putting a 150 shot of nos at the boat as well. I was wondering how well this can work on my boat. NOS takes my mustang into the 10's so I figure it should hit hard on my boat. Let me here what you all think.
    Mike

Tinkerboater
    In order to gain 15 mph you will have to add about 250 hp to the engine. NOS won't work very good on that stock engine with stock exhaust. The mpi fuel injection shouldn't hesitate. You have a problem-get it looked at.

Unitek
    They make a thru hull exhaust for my boat, is there any other kind of intake system or is that it? The merc 350 is just a standard chevy 350 right? It always hesitated from the start, then when the new motor was put it hesitated less but still did it. I figured it was a bad injector so I would rather go to a high performance induction system with heads and what not.

Tinkerboater
    In order to get what you want you will have to build a race motor. I am talking about changing everything except the block crank and rods everything else will be aftermarket.
    Again like I said you have a problem with your fuel injection system have it looked at. A bad injecter would cause more than a stuble. You may have a bad throttle position senser.
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited February 09, 2002).]

not guilty
    150 shot of NOS on a stock 350 ? Dont think it would be very long before youd get a chance to build that high performance motor your wanting !!MELT-DOWN !! NG