Thread: New addition to the fold

myoung
    Well, I took the plunge. I came accross a deal that showed up twice now on ebay that just seemed to call out to me. I went and bought me a money pit fixer upper. :hammerhea
    It's ok, it's just what I was looking for, something with good mechanicals but in need of cosmetic work. It definately needs plenty of cosmetic work too. It's a '73 Kona 21ft mini day cruiser that I got for the bargain basement price of $1860.
    The engine is an Olds 455 which, of course, is not the best choice but has been rebuilt with what appears to be all 'the right stuff'. The jet is a 12jc with the jetovator which is good enough for me, don't need the full on hydraulic place diverter for now, this will do just fine. I've disconnected the drive coupler and fired it up and it runs great. Needs some carb tuning though and the throttle cable and pedal are missing so I need to pick those up somewhere. Still debating pulling it and opening it up to see if the oil restrictors have been installed. The jet will need some bushings in the pins, some cable adjustments or replacement, and the impeller is not in the best of shape, but she'll make the boat move and that's all I need for now.
    The hull is in pretty good shape with the original gel coat still trying to stay alive. The top surfaces are kinda rough and will need some repairs here and there, holes, scratches, etc. The underside is in really good shape and doesn't look like it spent most of it's time beached. All in all, I'll just clean it up and runn it for now, I've done a little buffing on it and it will look pretty good after some elbow grease. The worst pat is the floor, it will be replaced this winter.
    The interior is just done. It's not even original to the boat. The previous owner bought the boat with no interior so he boght a used, ugly brown interior froma nother boat and mickey moused it in. It will be the biggest priority obviously.
    Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it and it should be fun when I get it cleaned up for next season.
    Here's the dreaded before pics. :jawdrop:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t/100_0394.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t/100_0396.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t/100_0397.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t/100_0400.jpg
    That's Anthony (Flip) in the first pic, it's all his fault.

moneysucker
    I know where there are some exact matches to those seats. If you want them, let me know. Goog pull on the boat though. Should be a hell of a cruiser.
    Cy

H2OT TIMES
    Looks like a good start. Have fun and good luck with it.

myoung
    I know where there are some exact matches to those seats. If you want them, let me know. Goog pull on the boat though. Should be a hell of a cruiser.
    Cy
    Really? :idea:
    How much and are they made for a boat similar?
    The ones in the boat now must have come out of an 18' or 19' or something that was much more shallow than my boat. The way he had to put them in was pretty bad looking, still not sure how I'm going to deal with the holes he put through the side of the hull. :frown:

definately a steal especially with the trailer... the motor looks good...i would leave it alone, being as it was just re-built & run it as is...i dont think u will have any probs with it...as for the interior...if u cant find what ur looking for & what u have is not that bad looking except for the color (ugly)...i would wait 'til u replace the floor etc & then i would look around for a "good" upholstery shop & have the seats re-done in ur color choice...u have the basics (seat frames, dog house, panels etc)...i believe IMO a much better/smarter choice...u can get the bushings for the pump pins from anyone who carries pump parts (Berk, Dom, AT, Jacc)...just my .02 cents & just trying to help...a little work here & there & u should have a "sweet" ride
    fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
    I agree with fastrat. Leave the motor, although watch the oil pressure after you are laking it and see what happens on a higher-rpm run for a while. Be ready for it to suddenly drop just in case it does need restrictors. If it holds, crack open a beer to celebrate the motor being "right". Yes, the pump bushings are easily available:
    http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/
    That's just one avenue. Anybody who deals with the drives will have them or be able to get them easily.
    Yep, the Admiral agrees that is an ugly interior on a blue-white boat, but it gives you a start. If you would like a better fit, decide where the existing one needs altering, and in what direction, and then either build new framing or have it done. Then top it with a GOOD upholstery job.
    All in all, very nice buy on a good boat. One you can be proud of as soon as it "fits" you. Welcome to the fold. It only gets more expensive.