Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Engineer!!!!

Wicked Performance Boats
    Ok guys, I got into a discussion at work today about bolt torque. If you torque your lugnuts to 100 lbs. How much torque does it take to loosen them. He says it takes more than 100lbs to loosen them. if so how much. There must be a formula. Budlight I say 100lbs

Danhercules
    Did you use locktight?

Wicked Performance Boats
    You never use locktight on lugnuts dummy. You so funny! Bl

poncho-pwr
    It isn't that easy Wicked. What you are wanting to know about is called breakaway torque and there are a lot of variables involved in figuring that. As far as I know there isn't a simple formula for figuring what a tightened bolts breakaway torque will be in the real world. A bolt tightened to 100 lb/ft could have a higher breakaway value than 100 lb/ft.

Squirtin Thunder
    It isn't that easy Wicked. What you are wanting to know about is called breakaway torque and there are a lot of variables involved in figuring that. As far as I know there isn't a simple formula for figuring what a tightened bolts breakaway torque will be in the real world. A bolt tightened to 100 lb/ft could have a higher breakaway value than 100 lb/ft.
    Why can't we just say about 150'lbs ???
    Now I know it takes atleast 200ft lbs to break my 150'lb lug nuts loose.
    But they have swivel washers so that makes it easier.

502 JET
    Ok guys, I got into a discussion at work today about bolt torque. If you torque your lugnuts to 100 lbs. How much torque does it take to loosen them. He says it takes more than 100lbs to loosen them. if so how much. There must be a formula. Budlight I say 100lbs
    I am no engineer but it seems to me that there would have to be many formulas due to the different type of nuts, bolts, studs, washers, and the material being clamped.Then after all that there is the corrosion factor.You could try an old spring needle type of torque wrench on your lugs and see if there is a difference between tightening and loosening torques.After a few days of driving and hot/cold cycles it would all change.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I am no engineer but it seems to me that there would have to be many formulas due to the different type of nuts, bolts, studs, washers, and the material being clamped.Then after all that there is the corrosion factor.You could try an old spring needle type of torque wrench on your lugs and see if there is a difference between tightening and loosening torques.After a few days of driving and hot/cold cycles it would all change.
    That's why I gave a application. Maybe Ford Explorer 1/2 threads with conical lugnuts. Steel wheels BL

poncho-pwr
    What we are trying to tell you is that there is no magical formula even for your given application. There are just to many variables ie. corrosion, bolt stretch, washer style, bolt head surface tension and so on.

victorfb
    100# is too much for your typical lug nut. but to be honest, i never torque mine . a hard twist with the star wrench and im good to go. i also allways use grease on the threads. as for how much torque to loosen the same nut? id say somewere around 50% more on average. as mentioned, too many variables to consider.

victorfb
    That's why I gave a application. Maybe Ford Explorer 1/2 threads with conical lugnuts. Steel wheels BL
    still too many variables. a hot day would differ from a cold day. condition of the threads on either stud or nut. was a lubricant used? which lubricant? ect, ect, ect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast