Thread: XR Nose cone or not to nose cone??

FASTERDAMITT
    Trying to figure out if I should install a nose cone on my 05 Xr drive. Running in the mid 90's and the boat likes alot of trim to reach best speeds with a Bravo1 prop. Only a couple trips out on the new boat, I'm still looking for the correct pitch prop but wondering about nose cones on the newer bravo's. I ran one on every other boat I've had. Maybe the newer Bravo's are better suited to higher speeds? Which one doesn't create stern lift?

SnakeWrench
    nosecone will help the lift issue, but keep in mind that the nosecone can also bring on hidden problems with boats such as being twichy.
    I think you may want to try a lab prop before you do the nose cone. You may find it more suited and a lab prop will not create much trans lift. Give it a try.

Throttle
    another lab prop... :coffeycup

BADASS38CHEVY
    I was going to put the xr drive with the nose cone.Lavey said it would slow me down about 2-3 mph.Not good for every boat I guess.

SnakeWrench
    Very true, that is why I said lab first. I have had nose cones slow boats down, but also have had them make the boat undriveable.

FASTERDAMITT
    Sounds logical.

Beer-30
    Absolutely. Get it propped to what it wants and then see from there. More than likely, you will get more MPH from finding the right prop than you could a cone.

FASTERDAMITT
    There's a fella on Offshore Only claiming ten+ mph by installing a Imco stock lower and useing the same prop. He claims small ammount of blowout was causing a cavitation problem. 96 before Imco and 110 with. This is why I ask. Are the Bravo 1 lowers effiecient around 100mph.