Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runs Great Out Just Not In Water

Legal Chemistry
    You don't bring your jackstands with you to the lake? I keep my boat strapped to the trailer w/jackstands connected. Extra 500 rpm's every time -keeps the boat out of the water more. lol

capt.murph
    when i say falls on its face i mean it will take off and just about as itwould get on plane it will die.starts right back up.put new mechanical pump on and checked fuel pressure it was good.played with the timing too. PULLED MOTOR TODAY (PREVIOUS OWNER POORLY INSTALEED)A DRAIN VALVE IN OIL PAN TO MAKE CHANGING OIL EASIER&CLEANER. CAME LOSE THOUGH AND WATER GOT IN SIDE PAN DIDNT NOTICE TILL CHECKING OIL BEFORE PRE LAUNCH .TOOK PAN DOWN (LESS THAN A QUART OF MILKY OIL) CAM APPEARS TO HAVE LIGHT BLUE TINT(LACK OF OIL).PULLED ONE CAM BEARING LOOKED FINE. FIND OUT MORE TOMMORROW . (P.S WONT RUN PUMP OUT OF WATER BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY)thanks alot for the advice will keep everyone posted on my luck

speed freak
    Had simular problem with my boat. Pick ups in both tanks gummed up over the winter. Ran fine until the carb bowls ran out of fuel.

twowheeledfish
    Had simular problem with my boat. Pick ups in both tanks gummed up over the winter. Ran fine until the carb bowls ran out of fuel.
    This is along the same lines I was thinking. A buddy and I just fixed a centurion with the same problem. The carb was brand new, but evidently the fuel filter/water separator does not filter small particles from the fuel and the inlet screen in the carb where the fuel line enters was plugged with fine sediment. Both screens on the fuel bowl needles were plugged too. The boat had sat for awhile and sucked some junk from the tank when first started. We cleaned everything out and it ran fine. For certain you are draining your bowls and it is causing the engine to fall flat. Could also be a collapsing old fuel line, fuel pump, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12