Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trivia question

jetboat
    what was a rogers boat before it was rogers,and when were they first made and year.were did they finaly stop making rogers?

BrendellaJet
    weiman. Not sure about the years.

jetboat
    any one remember the year and were made?and who was the man behind making weiman boats?

jkh04200
    Uh, let me see, could it possibly be Mr Wieman? :rollside:
    Sorry just had to do it

Wally_Gator
    First year?
    I am thinking 69 or 70

jetboat
    they were first built in 1966.the bottom mold wae from a glastron tha rogers dad stold,or barrowed? roger styled the top like a rason craft.had one of the first 16' outboard in 1967 thing it was the first20 or so.they were made in compton calif.roger moved to havasu around the early 70'sand buit more than he could chew.hope to have rogers after this boat is completed.

67weimann
    So did weimann go out of business and if so when?

Red Horse
    I have a 69 Weimann custom that was built in Bellflower Cali. Old rigger can shed some light on this. He is pretty knowledgeable about these things.
    I know this, those hulls were some of the first, if not the first v hull jet and basically dominated slalom course racing in the late 60s early 70s. Those things turn like roller coasters.

78CoLe
    Advantage 18'-20' jet boat is a rogers bottom they bottom them out in the late 80 I think

they were first built in 1966.the bottom mold wae from a glastron tha rogers dad stold,or barrowed? roger styled the top like a rason craft.had one of the first 16' outboard in 1967 thing it was the first20 or so.they were made in compton calif.roger moved to havasu around the early 70'sand buit more than he could chew.hope to have rogers after this boat is completed.
    Sorry, not even close.
    Mr Weiman was in the boat biz long before he built fiberglass boats. He had a shop on Lakewood blvd in Bellflower (the only location he was in) and his building was an old military surplus hut. The big half-circle kind. He also sold english motorcycles with his wood boats in the 50's.
    His fiberglass boats were a copy of the Tahiti, among others later, which were built across the street. The 16 Tahiti had the Glastron 'aqua lift' bottom with a SK deck tooled up by Gil Gaska, Dick Schusters right hand guy. This was in late 1964. Both Schuster and Gaska were laminators at Power Cat boats, also in Bellflower up to the early 60's til PC moved to Texas.
    Mr. Weimans hulls were built by Schuster at Tahiti, as he had no glass dept. So if you have a Weiman boat, you really have a Tahiti with Weiman emblems on it.
    His son Roger, branched out on his own in the 60s after getting out of the military. He, Dick Schuster and a rep from Berkeley jet drives were the frist to build a v-bottom jet boat, using a little 16 Tahiti, a berk pump and a 427 Ford. Roger raced this boat and set several records with it. He later went on to create his own line of boats and they pretty much dominated circle boat racing throughout the 70s and 80's. He had one of the most loyal following of customers I've ever seen and I still consider myself very lucky to have worked for him for the 5 or 6 years I did. His shop was on the same basic property that his dads shop was on, but it was a new building that entered form Rose street, not Lakewood.
    He sold out and retired to Havasu about 4 years ago.
    Advantage, in the mid 80's, bought one of 18 bubble molds, the Dragstar molds and the 20 outboard molds. Roger still had the 18, the 19 TR, the 20 jet and the 21 (spectra bottom different deck). Advantage bought this stuff when I was still working for Roger. I followed the molds over a year or so later.
    After Mr. Weiman got out of the boat biz, he bacame a rep for 3M products and he would stop by the shop once or twice a month to sell Roger tape, polishing compound, buffer pads, stuff like that. By this time, the 1980's, Roger and his dad had patched things up between them and they were at least on speaking terms. They had a riff years before, non boat related, and it took a long time to mend the fences, so to speak.
    Mr. Weiman passed away quite a few years ago and more recently, so did Rogers mom, whom he took car of until her death. When she died, he packed it in and retired at the river. He has 2 grown kids and a few grandkids now too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast