Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Kevlar DCB?

F26
    What are the lay-up options other than glass at DCB now? I saw Carbon/Kevlar with carbon fiber supports at extreme marines website.
    Any new news?

Screaming Pete
    what about doing one infused, it would make it a lighter and stronger boat??

BLOWN HOWARD
    They would have to have Wes do it for them. Then it would be bad ass!!!

UnionJack
    I have all that stuff done to the boat

F26
    any lightweight layup options in the future?... DCB?

Charley
    In the time it takes you to push 10 buttons you could start having all your carbon questions answered rather than letting the slow internet response bunch your panties try 1 - 6 - 1 - 9 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 0 - 3 - 0 - 0

weekendwarrior
    :wink: i'll be waiting to see how yer boys at dcb answer f26's questions in regard to carbon/kevlar and thier "process".
    In the world of composites, does the u.s. use the term "carbon" or "graphite"?
    So do you think your general fiberglass guy can do a proper "carbon" or "graphite" repair ?
    I wonder if those that are dabbling in this type of composites are storing thier materials correctly ?
    :wink:
    You don't need carbon or graphite to make a light boat. Graphite is a Gucci cosmetic thing. Kevlar is another issue, But vacuum bagging would make a lighter boat. Besides, you can throw enough horsepower at anything with a good bottom to make them go fast. You being a Shiada guy should know that. I don't think DCB is behind anybody when it comes to lay-up. Even if they use a standard wet lay-up. Proper placement of bulk-heads, and the correct thickness is what you want in a pleasure boat. Besides who wants a super light cat for recreational use? Longevity is most important.

Charley
    :wink: i'll be waiting to see how yer boys at dcb answer f26's questions in regard to carbon/kevlar and thier "process".
    In the world of composites, does the u.s. use the term "carbon" or "graphite"?
    So do you think your general fiberglass guy can do a proper "carbon" or "graphite" repair ?
    I wonder if those that are dabbling in this type of composites are storing thier materials correctly ?
    :wink:
    do we have a little hard on for DCB?? wtf?

Charley
    Charley, I happen to like DCB's just fine thanks. I know in the Aerospace world of building "Composite" type aircraft, Airbus, Boeing, Cirrus etc... there is a correct way to do a "graphite" layup, wet or prepreg, and a huge wrong way. Most mfg, i.e. Airbus, Boeing have thier own processes, the rest of the industry uses alot of thier procedures and technologies to do thier "graphite" layups. Depending on how you align each "ply" gives you varied strength, bend charateristics, some layups are for primary structure, others for secondary structure. I remember a few mfg dabbling with "graphite" boats and found the cost to be extreme, and the boat was to stiff.
    And storing the stuff is life critical to the material and resins, even fiberglass and its resins need to be properly stored.
    Thats all, nothing heavy duty, just curious how yer DCB boys do it, or are attempting to do it.
    Scott. :wink:
    Ok, well my apologies, I obviously misread your intention here.... I honestly do not know the method in which DCB is laying up the Carbon materials they are using....It sounds as if you are knowledgeable in this area, maybe I could get you and Dave on the phone sometime...I'm sure if nothing else, he could pick your brain and possibly pick up something from the talk<s>...If you are interested in Chatting PM me

F26
    In the time it takes you to push 10 buttons you could start having all your carbon questions answered rather than letting the slow internet response bunch your panties try 1 - 6 - 1 - 9 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 0 - 3 - 0 - 0
    HUFFPOWER you could just cut out the as$clowns and call Dave
    directly too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast