Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marine motor in a truck???

wrenchdaddy
    what Im trying to find out is if a marine engine (454 BBC, forged bottom end, ported and polished heads, and some REALLY nice other stuff,etc, etc) could run in a car without any negative consequences. I've heard that a marine motor is built with larger tolerances, would that effect anything in a car? It has Childs and Albert gapless moly rings if that has anything to do wth it. Im thinking of putting it in my 72' chevy pickup, i know gas sucks but I don't really care.

Sleek-Jet
    I've got a marine motor in my Cutlass... runs pretty good too.

wrenchdaddy
    IS there any difference in performance or reliabilty/life of the engine if its built for marine use or not?

Sleek26
    Assuming we're not talking about all out marine racing engines, lets look at the issues.
    Marine engines are built to run at 5500RPM or so for extended amounts of time.
    This means that you had better use quality pieces/parts when you build them.
    It also demands quailty machine work and first class assembly knowledge and techniques.
    Typically these motors are built to be torque monsters.
    I believe those are the qualities I would look for in a good STREET motor.
    That's just my humble opinion though.

wrenchdaddy
    Thats exactly the answer i was looking for, thanks sleek

victorfb
    the cam is about the biggest factor. the marine cam normally starts its power curve higher in the rpm range. you may want to change the cam for more of a street/rv cam, or change the torque converter to have a higher stall speed.

Squirtin Thunder
    Well I am putting a Truck engine in my boat, but changing the cam.

victorfb
    jim, your bass ackwards. lol ok, i have to admit, i put my truck motor in my boat too. but this guy wants to do the opposite.

Squirtin Thunder
    jim, your bass ackwards. lol ok, i have to admit, i put my truck motor in my boat too. but this guy wants to do the opposite.
    I was just agreeing on the cam thing !!!

victorfb
    yea i know jim, just funnin with ya. we are both bass ackwards when it comes to this thread. he is doing the opposite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast