Thread: Trim Limit Question

bigblockbill
    So I am getting a crash course in outdrives...no wonder I have always liked jets better. Anyway what controls the trim limit? Do the two round sending units on the drive control both the trim gauge and the limit switch? I have two things going on. My trim gauge does not work, and when you trim the boat up it stops waaaaay too early. The trailer switch takes the drive all the way up just fine.

Randy De Pirate
    there are two trim dials on your outdrive. On mine, merc bravo one outdrive. The right one adjusts the position on the trim gauge. The left side adjusts the up switch limit. Your drive should not go up more then 1/4. After that you use the trailer button. Reason is the u joints start to bind as they go up. Trailer button is use with engine off.
    Call me if you got any questions on adjusting. Randy 949-395-4144
    :crossx:

ok my turn. what one is the trailer switch and what one is the running switch? i have one one the dash and have one on the throttle control.

bigblockbill
    The running switch is the one on the throttle, if you play with it while the boat is not in the water you can see that the drive will stop part way up. Then you can use the switch on the dash and the drive will continue up for trailer, or beaching or what ever. Just remember you never want to have the motor running when the drive is up past the running position.

thanks i wondered why there was 2 of them. the guy i got the boat from just said it had 2 switches. and they both did the same thing.

jkh04200
    I'm sure you know this.
    It makes it nice to adjust the trim limit switch to the "sweet spot". That way you never have to guess at where it should be for optimum performance. Just hit the button till it stops? I did it to mine and its nice. I see people all the time playing with theres trying to get every MPH thy can out of it. When all you have to do is adjust it properly and it takes all the guess work out