Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doug Eddings "The guy who screwed The Angels"

NOTALENT
    I cant believe there letting this focker Assist in the call of tonight's game!! He wont be behind the catcher, but in right field!!! :argue: So anyone sitting over there....be sure to throw some things at him and shout hateful slur's for the rest of us!!! :crossx:

JetBoatRich
    Friend of mine will be sitting right where he will be :idea: I am sure he will get an ear full tonight from the Angel fans :jawdrop:

shueman
    It was Jason's fault....when in doubt, TAG 'em out.... :hammerhea

NOTALENT
    Friend of mine will be sitting right where he will be :idea: I am sure he will get an ear full tonight from the Angel fans :jawdrop:
    I sure hope so...he deserve's it. Have your buddy make a sign that say's "Screw Edding's, From ***boat.com" That would be a site to see... :jawdrop:

JetBoatRich
    That is what I keep saying if your glove touch's the ground you have to tag him

NOTALENT
    Bull shit!! although yes maybe he should have tagged him, but there was no doubt in his mind...that's why he immediatley rolled the ball to the pitcher mound.

NOTALENT
    'I should've sold it'
    Tom Verducci, SI.com
    ANAHEIM -- The umpire who made the controversial dropped third strike call in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series said yesterday he "absolutely" made the right call, but admitted he was wrong in the manner in which he called it.
    "I think I've got to change my mechanic a little," Doug Eddings said upon arriving at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, Calif. Eddings' raised, clenched fist for a strike call is similar to a traditional out call. "That's why I feel bad. I should have given a safe sign."
    Eddings admitted he called a dropped third strike more emphatically earlier in the game.
    With two outs in the ninth inning of a 1-1 game, Chicago catcher A.J. Pierzynski missed a low, pitch from Los Angeles reliever Kelvim Escobar on a 3-2 count. Angels third-string catcher Josh Paul thought he caught the ball without it striking the ground and immediately rolled the ball toward the mound, which Escobar had vacated on his way to the dugout. Pierzynski, after taking one step toward his own dugout, realized Eddings had made no audible out call and sprinted to first base. Eddings did indicate a third strike by raising his right first, but made no physical or audible call to indicate the ball hit the ground.
    "I should have sold it either way," he said.
    Eddings admitted he was surprised to see Paul roll the ball to the mound.
    "Nine times out of 10 if there is any question the catcher tags him," Eddings said.
    Paul said after the game he rolled the ball back instead of tagging Pierzynski because he said he was convinced he caught the ball without it striking the ground. Replays were inconclusive.
    When asked if Eddings' actions behind him had no bearing on his decision to roll the ball to the mound, Paul said, "That's correct."
    Pierzynski was replaced by pinch-runner Pablo Ozuna, who stole second and scored the game-winning run on a double by Joe Crede.
    Eddings and his fellow umpires were met at the airport by a security officer from major league baseball as well as two armed Orange County sheriffs.
    Asked if he felt he made the right call on the pitch, Eddings replied, "Absolutely. I felt it bounced. I know others have their own opinions."
    Eddings said he received voice mail messages from "just about all" other major league umpires as well as several NHL officials supporting his call.
    "It makes you feel good," said Eddings. "I've wanted to do this job since I was 13 or 14 years old. I love my job. I still do."
    As part of the routine postseason umpire rotation, Eddings is scheduled to work the rightfield line at Angels Stadium for Game 3 Friday night.

bite me
    :hammerhea Thats BS, if the ump does not clearly see the ball hit the ground he can not make that call !!!!!!! He said that just to cover his ass.

bite me
    Give him hell tonight............

jdogginla
    Technically........Paul, the catcher needs to take blame for the error. Any true baseball fan that watches the game on a consistant basis will tell you that on a strike three call if there is ever a doubt whether the catcher caught it or if it gets by the catcher, the catcher or someone must either tag the runner or throw it to first for the force out. The call is still a strike out, but the player may be awarded the base if not tagged or forced out. So technically the arm motion of the strike three call was correct......Paul never heard the ump say verbally that the batter was out yet assumed it and was confident that he caught the ball clearly. Now if I'm correct Paul came in the game in the 9th inning to catch, so he doesn't have the luxury of being behind the plate all night and getting a feel for the umpire's ways.
    All in all.........their is an argument on both sides about if it's right or wrong but I think that it leans more in favor of the umps call being correct and the Angels losing a game for making a stupid mistake.
    Just my .o2......and NO i'm not a WhiteSox fan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast