Thread: What is the Proper Break in????

Rocket
    Have heard so many scenarios, What is the right way to break in fresh motor? Never had one rebuilt just the new ones. 502 Mag new pistons, cam, lifters the works, with a little head work. Just really want to know from the experienced few... What is the right way? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Rocket

mister460
    Run for 30 minutes at about 2200 rpm or so. Change oil/filter. Make sure it starts on the first couple turns. After the cam is broken in tune it up (set timing, carb, cooling system) and drive it like you stole it. Do the next oil change after a few hours, then keep your normal schedule. No need to "go easy" on it for a long time. Just make sure you properly break the cam in!!!!

HammerDown
    For the most part I agree with the above...what I do is to vary the rpm between 1800 and 2200 ...also. I dont know about the drive it like ya stole it theory. I still tend to vary rpm's for the first few trips out.
    P.S. it took 3 oil changes on a fresh rebuild before I saw clean oil.

Thunderbutt
    I agree with mister 460 break in the cam and get it on. If the motor was built right! Ask the guy that built it, if he tells you to be cautious then find a new guy. I've seen motors rebuilt in the back of a trailer and put in a boat an run 8000 or more rpm first run. Originally posted by Rocket:
    Have heard so many scenarios, What is the right way to break in fresh motor? Never had one rebuilt just the new ones. 502 Mag new pistons, cam, lifters the works, with a little head work. Just really want to know from the experienced few... What is the right way? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Rocket