Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New IMCO Drive

Boatlesss
    First of all Imco never claimed it was a #6 replacement. They claim it to be between the Bravo style and the #6.
    $33,000.00 does not buy every thing you need for a #6 install. $33,000.00 is basically dealer cost for the drive and transom assy. No, they dont' come as a unit. The drive is bought seperately from the transom assy. The transom assy does not come with the steering in it. Only the steering cylinders. You still need the helm, wheel, hoses, and fittings. It also does not come with the transmission, drive plate, bellhousing, etc. When you compare EVERYTHING needed to complete the install, the #6 is a fair amount more.
    The Imco 1000 is an alternative when you dont have the HP that demands a #6, but will kill a Bravo style.
    I am not pushing one over the other, only trying to give a little insight.
    The #6 is the king (actually the #7 now). The 1000 is just a good alternative for an engine like a very large CI normally aspirated engine that would kill a Bravo and the #6 would be heavy and absorb more HP.
    The SSM#6 does come with the steering cylinders in the gimbal and the plumbing to the get the steering through the transom. No there is no helm, internal hydraulic hoses, nor transmission and such. The Arneson Bravo conversion kit comes with all the things you listed and at half the price of the IMCO.
    The SSM#7 was made as a Diesel drive unit back in the late 90's it is no longer being made.
    You can argue that the drive units come in sub assemblies but one is useless without the other so it is a mute point.
    Point is for a Bravo copy, the IMCO is way overpriced.

Havasu47
    The SSM#6 does come with the steering cylinders in the gimbal and the plumbing to the get the steering through the transom. No there is no helm, internal hydraulic hoses, nor transmission and such. The Arneson Bravo conversion kit comes with all the things you listed and at half the price of the IMCO.
    The SSM#7 was made as a Diesel drive unit back in the late 90's it is no longer being made.
    You can argue that the drive units come in sub assemblies but one is useless without the other so it is a mute point.
    Point is for a Bravo copy, the IMCO is way overpriced.
    It is not a moot point. That is how they are sold from Mercury.
    You compare retail (Imco) to Dealer cost (#6). Hardley a fair comparison.
    I am not here to argue that the Imco is competition for the SSM. If you read my post again you will see that. If you have seen the Imco in person you will see it is not a "Bravo copy".
    Again, it is an alternative.
    The Arneson conversion is rated to 750 ft. lbs. of torque. How does that compare to the 1000 rating of the Imco? Arneson drives have a limited application that is different from a Bravo or SSM. One example is you will not pull a speed skiier with an Arneson
    Once again, it is an alternative that has a place in its application.
    To be totally fair compare the #6 at retail: Drive $33,375.00, T/A $18,004.00, Tranny $10,601.00, drive plate $632.00, etc.
    I've used #3, #5, & #6 drives, as I said the #6 is the King. If some one needs more than a Bravo and less than a #6 it is a great alternative with some advantages for a normally aspirated engine.
    What type of experience do you have with Imco drives and #6 drives? It sounds like you have Imco on the chopping block.
    Just curious.

Boatlesss
    It is not a moot point. That is how they are sold from Mercury.
    You compare retail (Imco) to Dealer cost (#6). Hardley a fair comparison.
    I am not here to argue that the Imco is competition for the SSM. If you read my post again you will see that. If you have seen the Imco in person you will see it is not a "Bravo copy".
    Again, it is an alternative.
    The Arneson conversion is rated to 750 ft. lbs. of torque. How does that compare to the 1000 rating of the Imco? Arneson drives have a limited application that is different from a Bravo or SSM. One example is you will not pull a speed skiier with an Arneson
    Once again, it is an alternative that has a place in its application.
    To be totally fair compare the #6 at retail: Drive $33,375.00, T/A $18,004.00, Tranny $10,601.00, drive plate $632.00, etc.
    I've used #3, #5, & #6 drives, as I said the #6 is the King. If some one needs more than a Bravo and less than a #6 it is a great alternative with some advantages for a normally aspirated engine.
    What type of experience do you have with Imco drives and #6 drives? It sounds like you have Imco on the chopping block.
    Just curious.
    Apparently you were not at Catalina ski race this year where an individual named "Tony Adams" placed second overall and his boat had Arneson Surface Drives and his motors make well more than 750. The Arnesons do not break! If you look at the overall picture, IMCO is the one with the limited market as there are Arneson Surface Drives on boats from 18’ to over 200’. The power loss and the power limitations are both against IMCO also.
    Not hating on IMCO, just stating the obvious. Why pay that much $$ for a, yes Bravo copy, (Even the article says one would be hard pressed to see a difference between the two) when one is far better off with Mercury. Not to mention IMCO does not have a reputation of standing behind their product.
    Once again, you can try and separate the SSM#6 into pieces, but the boat needs both pieces of the drive in order to be functional. No matter how you look at it, it takes both halves to make whole. As for Mercury's pricing marketing strategies, no one pays list. No one. Mercury has more pricing breaks than Evil Knivel has broken bones. $10K for a transmission? Look at what BAM or Huber charges.
    You work for IMCO?

ELIMINAT THIS
    Apparently you were not at Catalina ski race this year where an individual named "Tony Adams" placed second overall and his boat had Arneson Surface Drives and his motors make well more than 750. The Arnesons do not break! If you look at the overall picture, IMCO is the one with the limited market as there are Arneson Surface Drives on boats from 18’ to over 200’. The power loss and the power limitations are both against IMCO also.
    Not hating on IMCO, just stating the obvious. Why pay that much $$ for a, yes Bravo copy, (Even the article says one would be hard pressed to see a difference between the two) when one is far better off with Mercury. Not to mention IMCO does not have a reputation of standing behind their product.
    Once again, you can try and separate the SSM#6 into pieces, but the boat needs both pieces of the drive in order to be functional. No matter how you look at it, it takes both halves to make whole. As for Mercury's pricing marketing strategies, no one pays list. No one. Mercury has more pricing breaks than Evil Knivel has broken bones. $10K for a transmission? Look at what BAM or Huber charges.
    You work for IMCO?
    Speaking of Tony Adams boat I was told by Seaton marine here in disco bay ( he put the arneson's bravo conv's on that boat) you can get a arneson bravo conv. for around $14,000 - $15,000.

acatitude
    Well I would agree ARneson is the way to go. I had one on my 1981 carrera elite and it has 23 years service. my question is has anyone seen one or know of one on a 25/26 single motor cat????
    ALso Im not sure an arneson 10 will adapt, its quite big and a 8 isnt rated at 1000 hp. would be interested to hear of anyone using an arneson on a single cat. I cant keep my imco extreme from breaking with 1000 hp, and 32k is a little out of my price range for the new one. Id take an old, in perfect shape b-max if anyone is throwing one out

Boatlesss
    Well I would agree ARneson is the way to go. I had one on my 1981 carrera elite and it has 23 years service. my question is has anyone seen one or know of one on a 25/26 single motor cat????
    ALso Im not sure an arneson 10 will adapt, its quite big and a 8 isnt rated at 1000 hp. would be interested to hear of anyone using an arneson on a single cat. I cant keep my imco extreme from breaking with 1000 hp, and 32k is a little out of my price range for the new one. Id take an old, in perfect shape b-max if anyone is throwing one out
    Reading Arnesons web site, the ASD8 is rated at 1200 lbs of torque, higher than a SSM#6 even.
    You can probably contact them as ask them what they think.
    Whatever they say, it can't cost no where near what IMCO is wanting.

HP350SC
    Ken, I think Robbie Racer has looked into the Arneson but don't you have to move the motor forward?

acatitude
    yea Mike you have to add the tranny in there. My arneson on my old carrera was stamped #001, hows that for longevity. its still on boat and was first production one made. I believe last time Keith talked to rick at Arneson there was an issue with the #8 adapting or thr HP rating. I'm not sure now which it was. Taking my imco apart this weekend, what fun.
    Is it true that the imco is xr gears inside?

Boatlesss
    I saw that boat the Tony Adams has. They did not move the engine forward.

deltarat
    yea Mike you have to add the tranny in there. My arneson on my old carrera was stamped #001, hows that for longevity. its still on boat and was first production one made. I believe last time Keith talked to rick at Arneson there was an issue with the #8 adapting or thr HP rating. I'm not sure now which it was. Taking my imco apart this weekend, what fun.
    Is it true that the imco is xr gears inside?
    I was told that the IMCO does use the XR gears, and that the difference was that the IMCO uses a set of bigger shafts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast