Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New IMCO Drive

Boatlesss
    Your grasp of the English language in the following quotes for one.
    An ASD8 is $28,000.00 (the only accurate thing you've said). But it is FAR from complete. It is ONLY the drive unit with external trim and steering cylinders. No trans, driveline, bellhousing, drive plate, steering helm and hoses, etc. Not minor details.
    Have a nice day! :idea:
    Exactly, I stated that the cost of the Arneson is as you repeated to be. Where did I lead you a-stray?
    I cannot see your blurred point of inaccuracy?
    I did not include the price of the inside the boat parts are they are not included and I did not infer they were included.
    Lets see: A BAM 1350 transmission: $ 3,428 (list)
    Drive Plate: $350.00
    Bellhousing for transmission: $100-120 (Not an Eickert bellhousing with coolers)
    Internal Hoses &Fittings: $250-300
    Helm Unit: $400
    Total: $4,248.00 (1/2 of the helm and ½ of the hose plumbing as that is for a boat complete) + 28,000.00 = $32,248.00 per drive unit minus drive lines which are priced per application but normal driveline applications cost $1,200.00 ea. so $33,448.00 per side.
    1,500 lb torque rating and a one year warranty.
    How was that IMCO again?
    What are you inferring to then????
    The Arneson Bravo Conversion Kit has these parts in it and its cost is even less.
    As for what I stated, the IMCO is not in the same league as the Mercury SSM#6 drive unit.
    No mis informed information, no misleading statements.

Boatlesss
    I can help with this.
    OGShocker beat me to the ASD8 pricing/complete in-accuracy.
    Remind me???? Are you a Mercury rep? Because when ordering drives from Mercury there is a part number for the drive, and a part number for the transom assy. Period. It is not a "kit". You will also have to order the trans seperately also. As well as the steering. No, the steering cylinders on the transom assy are not the steering. Still not sure what a "spacer" is.
    This little Imco? Have you seen one? Please, enlighten us as to a detailed description of the size and type of the gears and shafts.
    No. I do work in the Marine industry. You continue to not answer my question of what experience do you personally have with any of these products to post your very strong judgements that could influence someones decision on powering their boat? So far they sound like a biased OPINION.
    You're right, I was not there this year. So how on Earth could I know anything about this boat? The only boat in the Catalina race with the Bravo/Arneson conversion. Maybe you should do some research and find out how much time and money went into that boat building shields (multiple attempts) so they were able to pull a skiier much less see him after they were on plane.
    How much power did his engines make? I know, do you? Are you sure "well more"?:notam: :notam:
    You really should READ all my posts. Unlike you, I do not put down drive systems with no real knowledge about them. I point out advantages of each.
    If you get a boat, put an Arneson on it, then go pull a wakeborder or take the kids out on the tubes. It will be a blast.
    Every drive has plus sides as well as drawbacks.
    My point about the Mercury SSM#6 drive units is that no matter how you order it, you NEED both assemblies to make a whole. So follow me here, who cares how you get the drive assembly, one part# two part# or more, you still need the assemblies in order to have a complete SSM#6 drive unit. How hard is this to understand?
    The SSM#6 Transom assembly comes with TWO Stainless Steel Steering Cylinders attached to the gimbal assembly. No this is not the internal steering system, BUT I stated that in my previous post!
    IMCO did not include a mechanical tie bar assembly in their pricing either so that is a mute point. BUT IMCO does make a mechanical tie bar assembly for the Mercury SSM#6 drive unit.
    For a boat to function you will need the internal steering hoses. (See my previous post on cost)
    Call up a high performance Mercury dealer (such as TNT, Dollar Marine, BAM) and check the pricing. If you pay list then god bless you.
    The spacer in the SSM#6 is what is used to set the propeller shaft height on the boat as this is adjustable by ½” increments under the Cav plate above where the oil fill hole is.
    The article in HB (Hot Boat) stated one would need a tape measure to be able to tell the difference between the IMCO 1000 and the standard Bravo they make. That says enough for me.
    You made the statements about the Catalina race. I pointed out your inaccuracies. You have a problem with that then you should not have posted it in the first place.
    As for what Mr. Adams did with his boat to race, that is his business not mine and if he has a problem with it then he should call up whomever he spent his $$ with and complain to them. Or are you his public speaker?
    Funny your comments do not influence peoples buying decisions but mine do? I gave a fair analysis of the competition in that price range. IMCO faces strong competition in the 30+k price range from Mercury, Arneson, I forgot Weismann, Buzzi, Konrad and more. This is exactly what I have point out.
    There, I backed up my statements with facts.
    What I do for $$ has no effect on the facts and might have no correlation to experience with boats. Not everyone that has a boat or is into boating is in the “Marine Industry” such as yourself.
    I know you are dying to know so I’ll tell you. I am a janitor at a developmentally disabled school. I sweep floors and read Mags all day.

Havasu47
    First you say this:
    An Arneson ASD8 cost $28K complete with steering and such. Then you say this:
    Whatever they say, it can't cost no where near what IMCO is wanting.Then you say this:
    I did not include the price of the inside the boat parts are they are not included and I did not infer they were included.
    Lets see: A BAM 1350 transmission: $ 3,428 (list)
    Drive Plate: $350.00
    Bellhousing for transmission: $100-120 (Not an Eickert bellhousing with coolers)
    Internal Hoses &Fittings: $250-300
    Helm Unit: $400
    Total: $4,248.00 (1/2 of the helm and ½ of the hose plumbing as that is for a boat complete) + 28,000.00 = $32,248.00 per drive unit minus drive lines which are priced per application but normal driveline applications cost $1,200.00 ea. so $33,448.00 per side.
    Accurate pricing puts them within $500.00 of each other. Not "no where near".
    I only questioned the exageration and accuracy of your statements. I did not say the Imco 1000 would withstand the horsepower or torque that an ASD8 would. The Imco 1000 was NEVER COMPARED TO THE ASD8. The fair comparison would be the ASD8 to the #6. I only pointed out the advantages of it over the ASD6.
    As for your suggestion to call a Mercury Marine High Performance Dealer, I am one.
    I got involved in this thread to help people. My advice is with 30 years experience in the marine high performance industry. I have seen people make many, many mistakes in engine or drive choice and they either spend huge amounts of money correcting it or they just sell it and start over. Magazines are great entertainment, and sometimes educational. They very seldom give you all the pieces to the puzzle.
    One other thing, I NEVER ASKED WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING. I asked what your hands on experience is with these drives. If you really are a Janitor at developmentally disabled school, I applaud you. My daughter is a teacher and I fully support any one employed in the education system at any position.
    My intention was not to get into a pissing match with you.
    This will be my the last response to this unless someone would like to ask a question regarding the application of ANY of these drives. AGAIN, I am a fan of ALL these drives.
    To answer one of the earlier questions. The Imco as well as the "other" Bravo modified drives use the XR gears. The 1000 uses gears very similar the the #6.

Boatlesss
    Listen, I do not work for Mercury, Arneson, Weismann, Konrad or anyone else of importance.
    For the cost, regardless of what is included, excluded or overlooked. The IMCO 1000 is not in the same strength league as the others so I feel it is greatly over priced.
    Some are hyping it, and for a drive unit that for all apparent reality has not even been seen further than a picture in a magazine, I do not think it is justified until I see something on people’s boats.
    I don't even think it’s better than an ASD6 as Arneson seems very conservative with their ratings and everyone is saying great things about it. Even Mr. Adams who has them on his 38’ Formula.
    So time will tell. I could be completely wrong but then again the in Feb. at the Miami boat show, Mercury might have their new "Bravo" out which is rumored to be the king of kings and this will throw another curve into the market.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345