Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBF 460 Rebuild

Sanger Jet
    What would you do?

Buy a Chevy

YeLLowBoaT
    It all really depends on what you want to do with the boat. personally i would take it down the machine shop I use and say " I want 500 hp do what you can do with $( fill in the blank) much."

It all really depends on what you want to do with the boat. personally i would take it down the machine shop I use and say " I want 500 hp do what you can do with $( fill in the blank) much."
    I agree about the money part, however I'd be sure to play an active role in choosing the parts that were going in it. It'd be pretty easy to make 500 hp even with crap parts, but how long would it last? I'd at least pick out the hardware that's gonna hold it together (ARP fastners etc.), heads (if aftermarket), main and cam bearings, pistons, rings, cam and springs, conversion for roller rockers (if you're figuring on using the stock heads), hardened pushrods with guideplates etc.
    I did exactly what was suggest above a few years back and I got burned big time. I trusted a shop to pick the parts and it failed shortly after cam breakin. Never again. If you've got a shop that you've used before and trust it may be a different story.
    My second rebuild (don't ask) is going on 5 seasons and still running strong, but when I do it again.........it'll be a stroker. It doesn't cost a ton more money and cubes are good.
    I mean no offense yellowboat...............it's just my story.
    Click on my boardname above and then go to my homepage. All the sickening details are in there on page 3 & 4.
    I'm not a master engine builder and never professed to be. I do all my own rigging, maintenance, wiring, cables, setup work, rebuilt my carbs, converted to a tunnelram, blueprinted the bottom etc, etc, but I entrusted the motor rebuild to those idiots. Hell they must know what they're doing.............they're professionals right?
    My ass.

Squirtin Thunder
    Ask me !!!

LakesOnly
    What would you do?Depends on application, what parts you have to work with and how much you want to spend.
    Looking at your boat and thereby assuming what engine parts you have, I'd recommend you buy a 502 stroker kit for the bottom end, port the snot out of the heads, cam, valve train and induction and you're pretty much done.
    Details to the above recommendation are dependent on your specific "wants" & "needs."
    If you have any questions about setting up you engine to perform just how you want it to, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help with as much free advice as I can offer.
    LO
    p.s.: If your 460 engine is running fine/reliably and you just want some more power, it may not be necessary to rebuild at all; more power is in the stock engine, you just need to know where to reach in and get it.

Sanger Jet
    Ask me !!!
    I sent you an email Jim

What would you do?
    i agree with Squirtcha?...if ur mech inclined...i would build it my self...u can build a very reliable 460/466 for not alot of money...there are alot of people on the boards who can help u out...ck with Squirtcha?...Squirtin Thunder...460 just_gettin_it & others...they have gd running mtrs & wont steer u wrong with what works & what doesnt...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

LakesOnly
    Buy a Chevy Bigamist, now you be nice to Sanger Jet. Just because he is new around here doesn't mean you should try to steer him towards an antiquated engine design when he already has something that is so much superior to your recommendation.
    Actually, believe it or not, I'm picking up a GM product this weekend. I'm bringing home a 1964 GTO. And yes, I'm putting a real motor in it; it's getting a Ford.

LO

Sanger Jet
    I used Squirtcha's boatisserie Idea to do the bottom already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast