Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for USCC regs on OTT exhaust

1968Droptop
    Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. I'm guessing I may lose that one :argue: . But it is a valid point. It's got to help some, better than nothing. For now I'll just enjoy the music my engine is making w/o them see what happens.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. It's ok, you can't get a ticket on the internet!!!!!! BL

1968Droptop
    It's ok, you can't get a ticket on the internet!!!!!! BL
    But with some of the postings I've read in the past you should be able to..........

gregr1971
    get with taylormanss(Randall Ross), he is employed with the coast guard, he may be able to answer your question.

Wicked Performance Boats
    get with taylormanss(Randall Ross), he is employed with the coast guard, he may be able to answer your question.
    Didn't you read the posts by boatcop {but Wicked is right. The CO\oast Guard does not regulate noise or exhaust systems.} BL

Boatcop
    And I spent 28 years with the Coast Guard, 10 of those in the Boating Safety arena.

gregr1971
    Didn't you read the posts by boatcop {but Wicked is right. The CO\oast Guard does not regulate noise or exhaust systems.} BL
    i must have overlooked it- sorry

502 JET
    Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. I'm guessing I may lose that one :argue: . But it is a valid point. It's got to help some, better than nothing. For now I'll just enjoy the music my engine is making w/o them see what happens.
    If you dont want to I will.Water is not a "device".It is a "Binary Compound".(you gotta love that Google search}
    I made some home made muffling devices that consist of a 3" X 1/4" aluminum plate that I drilled a bunch of holes in cut it in half and welded a tab on each one and bolted them in my Bassets.This did nothing at all.I then took some mesh expanded steel and rolled it up doubled 10" long and put this in each header with the drilled aluminum half moon plates.When I ran it was a lot quieter at idle and did not loose anything on the top end.If I get stopped the law can clearly see I have a muffling "device".The law does not state that it must be commercially available dont think I would pass a DB test in any state but they may be the difference between a ticket and a (have a nice day boat safely).I also run water in my headers but not for noise reduction but to keep the chrome on them.

Boatcop
    The following phrase (in bold) is actually written into the Arizona law:
    5-336. Muffling devices
    A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
    B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section.
    So other than the title (Muffling devices), the statute doesn't mention the requirement for a "device", rather it specifically states "effective equipment", which water injected headers qualifies as.
    If an Arizona Officer says that water injected headers don't meet the provisions of the law, he wasn't paying attention in class.

Wicked Performance Boats
    A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
    What is sub section C? Budlight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast