Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CATS AND SKIING

SCOOTE69
    Im about to buy a 21-23 cat (DCB, Cougar, or Eliminator, probably DCB 22) for running fast and skiing. I want to go over 100mph and be able to ski and pull beginner skiers at 23-25 mph. So I have 2 questions Id greatly appriciate help with.
    First, what's it like skiing behind a twin o/b cat (Im thinking of 2 300x or, if thats too heavy, 2 2.5's)? Is it doable? Im willing to give up the 5-10 mph on the top end to make the boat better for skiing.
    Second, am I better off with a single I/O (or surface drive if one will work with these cats)? And if 1 I/O is better for skiing how much HP am I going to need to get comparable performance to twin 300x's? Im guessing its close to 750-800 hp which means no or little warranty.
    Thanks so much for all your insights.

bigorangefan
    Scoote69, I just wanted to say welcome to the boards. I will let some of the other folks that are more in tune to your questions give their advice.
    Chris

SCOOTE69
    Thanks so much. After reading a lot of past posts it seems cats are fine for skiing and the question is really what type of engine and tab set up we will need to pull a skier at 23mph and then speed off at 110 when were done! I hope I can contribute to the board.

Skaterfast
    What percentage of skiing are you going to be using the boat.Cats are generaly not what you buy if your going to be using it soly for skiing.That's why you never see a cat pulling a skiir in the Catalina ski race,the cat doesn't break up the rough water enough.I own a cat and I think it is the perfect tube,ski puller,but I'm only doing these things once a year.I'd say the 22 DCB is a great choice with ouboard power.If you are going to be skiin more than 50 or 60 pecent of the time I'd look elsewhere.See ya.

SCOOTE69
    Ill be skiing once a week for an hour or two. Most of the time will just be running around. But I do want to be able to pull my girlfriend and her kids--all of whom are beginners and will need to ski in the low 20's. Thanks for your input. Do you think twins O/B will make it much more difficult?

TOBTEK
    great choice with the MACH22...if you want twin's you will have to 2.5's twin 300's are to heavy for the 22. If you want a deal on a twin Mach22 go to DCB's used page and call Stan direct...98 with new 2.5's 280hp with 30hrs on them, sweet boat and he's very motivated to sell he's now only asking 58K for it!...tell stan Toby sent you! Or a single 300X I hear isnt a bad way to go either

24RODjr
    We have a tunnel, and it throws less of a wake than some of the high-dollar ski boats out there. I love skiing behind it

Brad Zastrow
    A twin will have a lot of turbulance behind the boat and will not be a great ski boat. Any cat has strange wakes and lots of prop wash. I am a rather good skier/barefooter and own a number of cats and will not ski behind them. Go with friends skiing and buy the cat for pleasure. Pulling tubes and light skiing might work ok. My boat insurance will not allow any skiing even if I wanted to! Look into that issue before you buy a 100 mph boat. Cat insurance is expensive, hard to get and with lots of riders attached.

Stoked
    SCOOTE69 Sounds like you are looking at some great boats. Before you drop your $ go for demos in all of them. Twin outboards run very hard but your ability to turn quickly is compromised. I am biased, but call Al Stoker at Johns Custom Marine and he will set you up with a demo. I am on my second one and they run very hard and are a great family ski boat that can run 100 with stock power.

HavasuDreamin'
    I don't know about the twin O/B powered tunnels, but the single O/B powered tunnels cavitate out of the hole. Not good for skiing. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast