Thread: whats good compression for 460

hoolign
    I've got 125 each cylinder,thats good yes?

spectras only
    you're down a bit with 125 [you must have the A2A heads 8.5:1 comp], anything over 160 is pretty good.We got 185 in the 19 spectra with 10:1 comp.How many hours you've got in the engine?
    [ May 15, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

hoolign
    good question,im guessin lots ,i was gonna pull it out this winter and have it gone through or find a different motor for it

spectras only
    why don't you just rebuild the one you got ,with good components?

hoolign
    I figure if i canfind an older 460,thats in good shape,i'll have somthing better to modify along the way,rather than trying to make a racehorse out of a jackass

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    160-170 psi is where you want to be. Anything over that and you run the risk of pre-ignition knock. If you run aluminum heads you can go higher due to there ability to disipate heat faster. general rule of thumb is to keep 10:1 or less on iron heads and 11:1 on aluminum. Don't over do it on compression or you will regret it. pre-ignition will destroy an engine quickly. I'm with you on the engine. Run your boat this summer and shop for parts and slowly build you a powerplant then when the time comes a simple weekend swap will keep you on the lake. You should be able to pick up a cheap core just about anywhere. If you want a hoss though invest in some good heads......just my advice....
    Omega

Blown 472
    There might be some ford blower parts for sale ifin this damn thing comes apart agian.

Fiat48
    hoolign:
    I've got 125 each cylinder,thats good yes? Depends. On how big the camshaft is. What the static compression is. What altitude you are taking the compression at. How accurate your compression gauge is and if it has the correct shrader valve in it.
    In other words, don't rely on comparing your compression with someone elses to determine if it is rebuild time. Use a leak down tester and see how much air leaks out of the cylinder and where it goes, rings or valves.
    PS: It is enough compression for the engine to run if you are still chasing the problem of why it quit suddenly.
    [ May 15, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]