Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: does nascar use nitrous oxcide in races??

Free Agent
    Nitrous in racing is like spitballs in baseball.
    Some are real good at hideing it,, but I think we'da heard some stories lately if some got caught. And I think some would have been caught by now if they're using it.
    Always amazes me where the cars get that extra speed burst ya havent seen the entire race until the final lap.
    Just my 2 cents.

HighRoller
    They don't use it for the race, only for qualifying at places like Daytona. For everyone's education the way to hide it is having a battery half filled with nitrous and run it into the engine block through the battery cable into a nozzle under the intake. The Dodge pro stock teams did this when they kicked ass in NHRA. Rumor had it that when Jeff and Ray were dominating they used this tactic. Ever wonder why that team was split up? Was easier to do that and give Ray what he wanted (his own team) then for the ugly truth to come out! If it was found out that he was cheating and NASCAR allowed it what do you think would happen????

Freak
    Ahhh... you gotta love the sneaky Pete. A little squeeze here a little squeeze there.....
    Remember when Bob Glidden used to stomp everyone in pro stock and then one day... what's this, a little blue bottle stuffed up in the oil pan....After that Bob's stomp'in days were over.
    I'll take the good setup and aero package and save the sneaky pete for the last five laps.

Heatseeker
    Nitrous was a popular "cheat" back in the early 70's. They'd use a section of the roll cage to fill with the juice and run a small line to the carb base. They did, until a bunch of the teams got busted! They'd never get past tech if they tried it now!

gnarley
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HighRoller:
    For everyone's education the way to hide it is having a battery half filled with nitrous and run it into the engine block through the battery cable into a nozzle under the intake.
    You guys don't seem to get it or you don't read the thread. Have you ever seen a teardown? If you have you know what I’m talking about, if you haven’t you don’t have a clue. I have witnessed them on several occasions & also been torn down!
    You can't hide ANY type of extra nozzle in the presence of the inspectors. If anything is out of the norm they will see it! They are there with ever-watchful eyes on every single part as it is disassembled LOOKING for ANY performance enhancers.
    Forget the Nitrous! To run it you need extra fuel, right? If so you then need to richen the jetting, right? And you may not make your scheduled stops for fuel because your mileage is less than everyone else. SO now you use extra fuel & pit at the wrong time & the power is not at its peak since the engine is a bit FAT.
    If your going to think about a possible cheating scenario think it all the way through & ALL of the potential ramifications and ask someone who’s been there. And don’t forget if caught what penalties are levied against the driver, crew chief, owner & the car impounded by NASCAR. OH and what will your sponsors say about the negative publicity??? Think they will want to be associated with cheaters the next season???
    Think about it!

Freak:
    Ahhh... you gotta love the sneaky Pete. A little squeeze here a little squeeze there.....
    Remember when Bob Glidden used to stomp everyone in pro stock and then one day... what's this, a little blue bottle stuffed up in the oil pan....After that Bob's stomp'in days were over.
    I'll take the good setup and aero package and save the sneaky pete for the last five laps. Bob Glidden never used N2O, he was too naive to think he could get away with it or if anyone else used it. His son, Billy however used it on his P/S wedge engine and because of the arguements they had over the use of N2O almost broke up the family. It was these arguements with the kid that was the beginning of the end for his marrage to Etta. Now if you talk about Wayne Co. Speed Shop and their well known use of N2O, thats another story. There were several incidents where the tops of manifolds were mysterously launched in the pits and a few NHRA officals trying to cover for W.C.S.S. Cocaine wasn't the only thing they were illegally using. I think Darrel Alderman should have been banned for life as NHRA did to several other people who did or sold drugs, fu*kin hypocrites.
    [ May 14, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

Blown 472
    058:
    Freak:
    I'll take the good setup and aero package and save the sneaky pete for the last five laps. Bob Glidden never used N2O, he was too naive to think he could get away with it or if anyone else used it. His son, Billy however used it on his P/S wedge engine and because of the arguements they had over the use of N2O almost broke up the family. It was these arguements with the kid that was the beginning of the end for his marrage to Etta. Now if you talk about Wayne Co. Speed Shop and their well known use of N2O, thats another story. There were several incidents where the tops of manifolds were mysterously launched in the pits and a few NHRA officals trying to cover for W.C.S.S. Cocaine wasn't the only thing they were illegally using. I think Darrel Alderman should have been banned for life as NHRA did to several other people who did or sold drugs, fu*kin hypocrites. Then there was the break in and the sludge hammer taken to the chev mopar blocks.

HighRoller
    Gnarley,I've read the thread,and I've also seen,witnessed and been subject to many teardowns myself.All it takes is for an official to look the other way for a moment at the right time to give one team a small advantage.I've told everyone before,read Smokey Yunick's book and you'll see what I mean.NASCAR always has been,and always will be a political organization that plays favorites to enhance its appeal and promote the drivers they want to be popular.And as far as these"penalties",they are a joke!If you win a race in any other organization and are found to be illegal in post race inspection you are DQ'd.In NASCAR you get a monetary fine and the whole thing is swept under the rug.I don't think any teams lose sleep over that prospect.

burbanite
    Ok, I just walked over and took another look around the 42 car and I still can't see any signs of a nitrous system so I'm not buying it

gnarley
    Hey Burb, were you at Indy on Pole day? Looks like you guys did OK but just got bumped to the 2nd row, sorry to see that.
    Is Spencer still trying to sue Skip over his contract? The guy is a low life & took Gary Bechtel for some money also about 10 years ago. If he can't win $$ he'll get to it another way.
    Tell these guys how much cheating would cost your team if caught.
    By the way Highroller who were you with if you have been through a teardown?
    [ May 14, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast