Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: does nascar use nitrous oxcide in races??

rrrr
    Hey burbanite, I figured it would be better to look you up on Wednesday of race week, you guys looked pretty busy. Our pit was next to Dixon's.
    Hey, remember last year when Billy Boat was penalized for a rule infraction? They found a bottle in Billy's car. Bad thing was, someone told Billy the bottle would make him faster, but they used helium instead of nitrous.
    (Explanation of joke for those outside the IRL: Boat is about 5' 6" and has a high pitched weird voice, just like when you breathe the helium from a balloon. OK, so it ain't funny! )

HighRoller
    I've been involved in Stock car and sprint car racing on dirt and asphalt so our cars have been torn down,pumped,tubed,weighed,magnetically checked(rods)and even sonic checked on occasion.(roll bars)I also have friends who have regular personal and business dealings with several top level NASCAR/IRL/WoO drivers and I get to hear what these guys say pretty much verbatim.Would it surprise you to know that one of the top guys right now thinks NASCAR is a"joke"?His words,not mine.He said it was like racing in the WWF.Of course it was all stuff that these guys would never admit to and I'm not one to air anybody's dirty laundry so I'm not naming names.But I know what goes on in racing.I have several reasons for not liking NASCAR,and the fact that they enforce the rules arbitrarily is only one.And I have nothing to gain by stating these things so why would I lie?

Freak
    058:
    Freak:
    Ahhh... you gotta love the sneaky Pete. A little squeeze here a little squeeze there.....
    Remember when Bob Glidden used to stomp everyone in pro stock and then one day... what's this, a little blue bottle stuffed up in the oil pan....After that Bob's stomp'in days were over.
    I'll take the good setup and aero package and save the sneaky pete for the last five laps. Bob Glidden never used N2O, he was too naive to think he could get away with it or if anyone else used it. His son, Billy however used it on his P/S wedge engine and because of the arguements they had over the use of N2O almost broke up the family. It was these arguements with the kid that was the beginning of the end for his marrage to Etta. Now if you talk about Wayne Co. Speed Shop and their well known use of N2O, thats another story. There were several incidents where the tops of manifolds were mysterously launched in the pits and a few NHRA officals trying to cover for W.C.S.S. Cocaine wasn't the only thing they were illegally using. I think Darrel Alderman should have been banned for life as NHRA did to several other people who did or sold drugs, fu*kin hypocrites. Damn if I don't remember watching a show stating something to the effect that he was caught, I can't find anything to support it. So I guess your right. I might have been dreaming. Anyway, I totally agree with you on the Alderman situation. What a low life. It's the same old story I have seen all through life. Some people get special treatment. I have run karts, Legends and purestock. We had a kid in Legends who's daddy ran a shop and sponcered the races at the track. He took out a lot of cars and never even got a smack on the wrist. I have seen other drivers asked to never come back to the track. Life is a funny thing.

DEL51
    Where the hell is chet, he would let you know what the hell is up on this shit.Jfk and clinton have nothin on this.

Craig
    058, thanks for saving me that typing You got it correct! The only person I can recall ever actually being caught with NOS in NHRA was Jerry Eckman. He had a bottle hidden in the dry sump oil tank.
    Billy Glidden was pushing Dad so hard saying he was losing money by people cheating. Bob didn't think it was true. Billy put a system on his car and promptly became a member of the 6 Second Club! He did an interview with some magazine and even told how he hid everything!! NHRA still didn't do anything to Billy. Their stance was that technically, at the time, the rules DIDN'T say you COULDN'T use NOS. It does now though!
    Craig
    [ May 15, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

Blown 472
    Craig:
    058, thanks for saving me that typing You got it correct! The only person I can recall ever actually being caught with NOS in NHRA was Jerry Eckman. He had a bottle hidden in the dry sump oil tank.
    Billy Glidden was pushing Dad so hard saying he was losing money by people cheating. Bob didn't think it was true. Billy put a system on his car and promptly became a member of the 6 Second Club! He did an interview with some magazine and even told how he hid everything!! NHRA still didn't do anything to Billy. Their stance was that technically, at the time, the rules DIDN'T say you COULDN'T use NOS. It does now though!
    Craig Would that have been the 92 season for eckman?

burbanite
    gnarley:
    Hey Burb, were you at Indy on Pole day? Looks like you guys did OK but just got bumped to the 2nd row, sorry to see that.
    Is Spencer still trying to sue Skip over his contract? The guy is a low life & took Gary Bechtel for some money also about 10 years ago. If he can't win $$ he'll get to it another way.
    Tell these guys how much cheating would cost your team if caught.
    By the way Highroller who were you with if you have been through a teardown? gnarley,
    yes, I was there, things went down hill that day.
    We were looking real good on the actual pole day (Saturday), Scott ran 233's by himself, the car liked the conditions - then the rain came...
    Next day Tomas scraped the wall coming out of four and bent the right rear with less than an hour before we had to get in line. We got it fixed but pulled out of line anyway, we wanted to give him some more practice time because he had pretty much pooped his pants.
    Scott went out and was flat all the way but could only muster 230's, in hindsight we should have waved off and worked up the car but we are where we are. We never did get Tomas in a position to go for it.
    Chip and Jimmy still have some issues to work out. wink
    Yes, it would be disastrous for us to be caught cheating, you don't want a 13 year relationship with a sponsor to go away overnight. Do we push the regulations, hell yes.

burbanite
    rrrr:
    Hey burbanite, I figured it would be better to look you up on Wednesday of race week, you guys looked pretty busy. Our pit was next to Dixon's.
    Hey, remember last year when Billy Boat was penalized for a rule infraction? They found a bottle in Billy's car. Bad thing was, someone told Billy the bottle would make him faster, but they used helium instead of nitrous.
    (Explanation of joke for those outside the IRL: Boat is about 5' 6" and has a high pitched weird voice, just like when you breathe the helium from a balloon. OK, so it ain't funny! ) rrrr,
    I was in Dixon's pit all weekend, I'm the one that stands around doing nothing.. I talked to Greg to see if you were around but ran out of time to come looking.
    Just give me a call when you can and hopefully it will work out.
    There may be some basis to the joke, I remember AJ was rumored to have a system carried by the drivers and spraying from the top of the helmet into the airbox, Salazar and maybe Boat were there then?

Craig:
    Craig If I remember correctly Billy and dad's arguement[s] was so heated that Billy at one point called Bob a "stupid old fool" or something to that effect for not using nitrous because "...everyone else was." Things got pretty ugly. I heard even the "Perfesser" himself was using a hood n2o system for that little extra top end charge as he would always get 'em in the lights.

Freak
    Jerry E. getting nabbed - That must be who I was thinking...My fault.
    [ May 15, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast