Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crate engines

BBC502
    Sorry for not answering sooner. The boat is an '86 Miller 21' open bow. I'm turning an "A" impeller at 5300 RPM. GPS was 67 mph with old(18 yrs.) pump . I just installed a new pump with droop. Feels much stronger but I haven't ran a GPS run yet. Hoping for 70-75 mph. The cam is original roller that Crower reground from .544 lift to upper .500, I think .586, The info is packed away.

jordanpaulk
    I am considering the crate motor 502/502 for my jet boat right now. Really cant beat it as an alternative to a hopped up race motor. My question is, how much would be interchangable between the two. Say, if I got the long block package, would my rectangular port intake manifold bolt up? What about exhaust? Is it the same? Deep sump oil pan? Just trying to figure out all my options before I throw more money into the 468 I am running now.
    Jordy

230Stingray
    I think you must use the intake manifold that comes with the long block kit. The reason being is that the aluminum heads that come with this package use a port shape that is between a ovel port and a rectangle port shape. I have run this motor for three seasons now. It is a great runner for not a huge investment.

230Stingray
    woops,
    I guess I better answer the rest of your questions. Exhaust bolts right up, This is a gen 6 block so if your oil pan is for a gen 5 or 6 it will bolt right on also

BBC502
    I think it is a great choice. You cannot use the rectangular port intake on the ZZ502. It comes with large oval port alum. heads that are port matched to the supplied GM manifold. There are plenty of after market manifolds to choose from depending on your use and rpm range. When I installed mine I had several problems. The expensive problem was the oil pan (came with the ZZ502) was too tall. I put a Moroso 9 QT. pan in, so check clearances. 2nd problem was header installation. I could not clear the head bolts so I went to the older bolt type and the headers worked. The rest of the components should bolt up with no problem.....Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12