Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 Chevy

MJS
    What I`ed like to know are the Pro`s and Con`s about a 427 Chevy Truck motor. I was told that it has a reverse rotation Timing I beleive.Is it worth jacking with or should I just get a 454 and go from there? Thanks for any comments.
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE

Truck engines usually have 3 ring pistons [3 comp. rings] very low compresson but some good parts like tall deck block, steel crank, don't know about the rods. Keep the above and throw the rest of the stuff away and build a hard running 427.

Dennis Moore
    If it is a true truck motor with a tall deck block (.400 inches taller than a standard big block) it would require either longer rods or a stroker crankshaft to use standard big block pistons. The only other difference is in the intake manifold (it will need spacers to run a standard big block manifold) and the distributor/distributor drive needs to be taller. The bore size is the same as a 454. Keep in mind that it is also wider than a standard big block because of the taller decks.
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore

396_Z
    Since you'll be changing the cam out for an aftermarket piece don't worry about the reverse rotation timing. Put a normal timing gear/geardrive set up on the front and change out the distributor drive gear and there will be nothing different.
    Oh year, and remove the rotators from under the valve springs too.
    FYI, max reasonable cubes for a truck engine is 632, the standard deck BBC is only 540.

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MJS:
    What I`ed like to know are the Pro`s and Con`s about a 427 Chevy Truck motor. I was told that it has a reverse rotation Timing I beleive.Is it worth jacking with or should I just get a 454 and go from there? Thanks for any comments.
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE
    [/QUOT
    old 427 truck engines make killer 496 cu. in motors---take a 4.250 crank, bore to 4.310, (.060 over)---.400 long rod, piston with compression of your choice,----decent cam, heads, induction of your choice---nice powerplant, only way to go if you are starting out with nothing to build on

blowngas
    blowngas:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MJS:
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE
    [/QUOT
    old 427 truck engines make killer 496 cu. in motors---take a 4.250 crank, bore to 4.310, (.060 over)---.400 long rod, piston with compression of your choice,----decent cam, heads, induction of your choice---nice powerplant, only way to go if you are starting out with nothing to build onyou will need to get an aftermarket cam---the stock one is total crap---the heads can be salvaged but better off with aftermarket also---

paradigm shift
    Either make a 496 like blowngas suggests or sell the block to me! I can always use a spare for the right price.
    If you are on a budget you could go the long rod 427 route and reuse the crank. Many had steel cranks not cast. Performance wise if was mine I would go the 496 route. Just my .02

MJS
    Guys, I don't know which way to go. Thanks for the input. But an engine builder freind and my machine shop buddy said to scrap it. And go to the 454, less problems. But my deal is which one is the cheapest to rebuild and get parts for. And whats a 427 worth? I can't tell details of the motor don't have it out of the truck yet. I will post a reply tomorrow with details.
    Just Dollars No Sense

Fiat48
    Tall deck pro's and cons. I race them. The intake spacers are a pain in the butt and tend to leak water. Gobs of silicone helps. Special manifolds are made (more expensive, of course) to take the place of the spacers. You need a taller distributor for a tall deck or some of the special manifolds make allowance for this and you can use stock distributor. Two tall decks were available. 427 and 366 cubic inches. The 366 is a thin wall casting and will not bore to 427 (which is same as 4.54) 4.251 size. So do not consider them. All this you hear about tall decks being much thicker is not true. There are thin castings also. Anything with a 7.4L cast into the side of it is probably a thin wall casting.
    The block is .400 taller. That means you can use a .400 long rod and a stock location piston pin hole and come up with a longer rod angle and satisfy the taller block. Basically the long rod softens the bottom end torque a little and makes for a higher rev limit. None of which you really need for your application. Or you can use a stroker crank and a slightly longer than stock rod length. 496 cubic inch deal like the other guys are saying. As far as a reverse rotation camshaft, never seen a tall deck with it. I got 5 under my bench. And I will sell them all and buy one good Merlin or Dart block which is much stronger, better oiling system and thicker cylinder walls plus it hasn't been out there working in a truck all these years. Personally i think you would be better off with a low deck 454 block. Why pack .400 long when you don't need it?

GofastRacer
    Hey Fiat, I have a 427 tall deck(got it for nothing)many moons ago, I did a sonic check on it, the thinest spot I found was 200 thou!...What I was wondering, how big of an arm can you put in one of those blocks??, since it's a 427, there is no factory notch at the bottom of the cylinder wall for a 454 stroke to begin with!!, how much can you machine out before you hit the water jacket??, just wondering how big of a motor I can get out of one of those factory blocks???, what's your opinion??........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast