Thread: GETTING HOT AT WOT

WATERROCKET
    HAS BEEN GETTING WARM AT WOT.HAAVE NOT LET HER GET OVER 200. I CAN LET HER IDLE AN THE TEMP DROPS QUICKLY, HAVE CONE WITH LOWER PICK-UP. ANYBODY RUN INTO THIS BEFORE? THANKS

Costello
    I was running about 215 after a WOT blast for a couple of miles with my Mercruiser style pump. I rebuilt it and now it likes to stay around 170-180. It made a difference for sure. I didn't have missing vanes on the impeller or anything, but the rubber was a little corroded and pretty soft. It's worth a try if you haven't done it already. I think the kit is around $70-80.

lakesmodified
    Originally posted by WATERROCKET:
    HAS BEEN GETTING WARM AT WOT.HAAVE NOT LET HER GET OVER 200. I CAN LET HER IDLE AN THE TEMP DROPS QUICKLY, HAVE CONE WITH LOWER PICK-UP. ANYBODY RUN INTO THIS BEFORE? THANKS
    WATERROCKET, though I presently own a jet boat, I've had outdrives in the past and have completely rebuilt many outdrives themselves. What you're experiencing sounds 100% like your rubber impeller on the outdrive unit. Normally you will notice that problem during the begining of the "new" boating season. You will also notice when you remove the old unit, that it looks just fine, never the less, upon replacement, your temperature will stay put. Anytime you experience temperature rise that follows RPM's, and then drops at idle, the culprit is that dreaded rubber impeller. Ivan

lakesmodified
    Damn, I hate those double posts when hit the "ENTER" key... Good luck, Ivan
    [This message has been edited by lakesmodified (edited May 29, 2002).]

Chillin The Most
    Waterrocket,
    I agree your problem is more than likely the impeller. What is the make & year of your boat? The reason I ask is not all impellers are on the outdrive. My 1995 454 Merc Cruiser with a Bravo One outdrive has the impeller down buy the waterpump on the engine. I had the exact same problem as you last year. New impeller, problem fixed. Originally posted by WATERROCKET:

WATERROCKET
    WELL GUYS I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM, I PULL THE RUBBER INPELLER OUT OF THE DRIVE...
    IT LOOKS NEW, SO THAT WAS NOT IT. I ALSO CHECKED A CLEAR PATH WITH AIR FROM THE BOTTOM PICK UP TO THE PUMP... THAT WAS OK...
    THEN I REACHED DOWN AND GRABED THE EXTERNAL HOSE FITTING THAT GOES FROM THE LOWER PART OF THE DRIVE TO THE UPPER PART OF THE DRIVE...THE FITTING WAS ONLY SCREWED ON BY 2 OR THREE THREADS...WHEN THE BOAT IS STOPED THIS FITTING IS UNDER THE WATER LINE.WHEN ON PLANE ITS OUT OF THE WATER AND I THINK I WAS SUCKING AIR. I FORGOT TO TIGHTEN THE FRIGEN HOSE AFTER I FIRED IT UP IN THE DRIVEWAY..
    HOPE THAT FIXES THE PROBLEM.
    YOURS TRULY, DUMB ASS