Thread: small block cam for a jet????

johnnyc327
    Looking for a little help from someone who has gone through the riggers of choosing a cam for a chevy 327ci with a berkeley pump. Motor is being freshend right now and I have yet to pick a cam. The hull is 16' long, kinda of a semi v, and is pretty light ( don't know exact weight). Currently, the boat really goes out of the hole but not much for top end. Block is an older casting with the double hump heads (291s) with a little port work. I had the pump rebuilt and the impeller cut to a B. Motor has the through the transom exhaust. Currently has the stock (old school) 4b intake with a holley 650 dbl pmp. Motor currently max's at 5200 rpm with a top speed of 54mph ( down river http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif ). By the way, Mooneyes is sending the spec sheet on the cam that I am replacing ( they said it is a 1968 grind). Obviously, that will help with choosing the replacement. Thanks in advance for your time...

77charger
    This might be a tricky one but if i were putting a small block in a boat(have done a few car motors)I would probably go with a 220-225@50 with a 450-460 lift for a hydraulic type cam.This kind of cam should be good for a decent rpm and will still have the torque to rev.Normally i'd use 234@50 488-510 lift for hot street motors in a car.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    327, what kind of boat do you have? I have an old Glastron with a 327 w/ 12jb-b pump. Its about ready for the water as I've been rebuilding it for the last 9mos. As for the cam, I left mine stock oe. If your in for an after market cam there are lots to choose from. I personally like Isky. Their staff are super to talk to. They ask you more questions about your application than you can think of. They do a good job at nailing down the right cam.
    What ever you choose, let me know how it works...I might want to change mine. LDFTRBT

johnnyc327
    It's an old Cheetah hull (1968). It's only 16'and with the cam I am replacing she get's out of the hole quickly ( no top end though). I am hoping to get the spec's on the cam that was in the motor today. I do know a little about it. 228 degrees duration @ 0.50/ 280 advertised. Gross lift at 410/ 111 degree lobe. I am thinking that with the boat being so small I can get out of the hole quickly even with a cam set up more for top end hp. Sure be nice to stab the right one on the 1st try.........

69 Elim
    on my ski boat, I have a 350 in a v-drive. the motor is stock except for cam & valve train, holly 4 barrel, single plane intake, mallory unilite ign. The cam I chose is a .480 lift / 292 total duration (comp cams kit @ summit for like $280). makes for a little rumble idle and pulls real hard (torquy) from 2k - 6k. BIG improvement over stock. I've heard that stock heads wont flow anymore than a 440 lift, but the duration really helps (1.94; 1.50 valves). I've had SBC's in all of my boats (4 flatbottom v-drives) and they run real well.

johnnyc327
    Going with a custom grind... Looking forward to it....Will post specs soon for the smallblocker clan......