Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 502 EFI rebuild project

kevnmcd
    Are you changing or upgrading your cam and valve train during your rebuild? If so, what are you planning on going with? I have a 26' Eagle with a HP500EFI and will be following your rebuild closely, thanks, Larry.
    Yes, I am. Valves do to 2.25 intake and 1.90 exhaust. The cam also get bumped up, not sure to what as I bought this package (http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/products.html) from Crockett. He claims that this package will net +/- 515 hp out of a stock 502 short block. I am bumping the compression up a little more than the 9.0 that these numbers are based on as well as going to 509 ci. So who knows, I may be in the 530-540 hp range when all said and done. I haven't decided if I am going to dyno it or not yet, so I may never know what the final numbers are.

bubbletop409
    So what was the original HP rating on your motor? Thinking about doing a cam swap and ECM reprogram on mine when the heads are do for service. Taking notes, thanks, Larry.

MikeF
    Waaaaaay off topic....BT409, post a pic of the BelAir! One of my favorite Chevy's.

Beer-30
    So what was the original HP rating on your motor? Thinking about doing a cam swap and ECM reprogram on mine when the heads are do for service. Taking notes, thanks, Larry.
    Injected 502s were 415HP.

kevnmcd
    Injected 502s were 415HP.
    Yep!

kevnmcd
    Still collecting parts:
    Dana Marine exhaust
    http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_h...-IMG_1855a.jpg
    Gaskets, roller rockers, fuel lines and cooler, timing chain, etc.
    http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_h...3-DSCN0789.JPG
    Gibson muffler tips
    http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_h...-IMG_1884a.jpg

bubbletop409
    Did that new cam come with a spec and timing card?

kevnmcd
    Did that new cam come with a spec and timing card?
    Not sure. The parts got shipped right to my buddies house that is helping me build it. I will have to check next week when we start assembling it. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere around 234/234 @ .050.

Beer-30
    I would strongly advise against those tips. Those were designed for STOCK 496s and 502s. The larger "bullets" were designed for anything higher, 500HP and such. You will definitely be in the 500HP class, so those are going to choke you, especially with that cam. You might as well leave the stock exhaust, because that about all that can make it out of those tips.
    Additionally, If you desire mufflers, I would go with clamp-ons or switchables. I have the clamp ons and have never put them on. I venture to say, that unless one is being stupid and attracting attention to ones self, he or she would not be bothered. I had LE right behind me through the channel, and my open tips are above water - in a swimstep chamber - and they never even looked at me.
    My friend has the replacement tips on his 454 mag and hates them. He wishes now that he had done the clamps, so he could hear it open from time to time. I know switchables are technically illegal, but there is letter of the law and spirit of the law. I just don't see any LE official getting hung up about being able to switch on demand.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast