Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 502 EFI rebuild project

BadKachina
    BK - The reason I was able to mail my ECU to Crockett and have him program it for me was that I used his whole upgrade kit. He has done numerous upgrades with this kit and been able to dial the program in based on these previous rebuilds. I agree with you that doing it your way would dial it in perfect but for now this will get me very close to being dialed in. I can always make adjustments down the road to get that last couple of ponies out of it.
    That makes more sense, if those are upgrades he sells or recommends then I would imagine that he's done the combination before and would have a program that fits the mods. I worry more about a lean condition than performance.

Beer-30
    I use AZSM for my ecu's. On my boat I welded a bung in my header for an o2 sensor and had them run it live on the water. They can set it all up right there on the laptop, I don't see how you just mail in a ecu to someone and have them put a program in it, unless it's bone stock from the factory.
    So far, AZSM doesn't have the rights to PCM555 programming. Only MEFI units. It would be nice if they could be the Arizona tuner for Merc. I do like that their 496 intake comes with a new MEFI controller. Program away!

kevnmcd
    Have you taken her out yet?
    Not yet, still a few odds and ends to button up. I am planning on taking it out this coming weekend. Should have more pics and news then.

kevnmcd
    BK - I hear you on lean condition. I will definately be watch for that.

kevnmcd
    Just an update....Took the boat out on Saturday. Fired right up and ran good. Once we made it out of the no wake zone ran it up to 3500 rpms and checked the timing. Made a few adjustments and had it set right at 34°. From there did a little cruising to see how it responded. Ran it all the way up to 5000 for a short burst, but the rest was between 3000 and 4000.
    I have to say that this boat is a completely different ride now! It pulled the 26p effortlessly. The mid range was unreal! It pulled hard all the way to 5000. Rev limiter is at 5400 and I still had some stick and trim left, so shouldn't be a problem getting it the rest of the way.
    The idle was right at 800 which was a little high I thought. Do any of you remember what yours are at for something similar?
    I also need to move the fuel pressure guage so I can get a more accurate reading. For those that have them, where are yours located? Also, I am looking for one that might just connect to the shrader valve at the front of the fuel rail....anyone know of such an item?

djunkie
    Just an update....Took the boat out on Saturday. Fired right up and ran good. Once we made it out of the no wake zone ran it up to 3500 rpms and checked the timing. Made a few adjustments and had it set right at 34°. From there did a little cruising to see how it responded. Ran it all the way up to 5000 for a short burst, but the rest was between 3000 and 4000.
    I have to say that this boat is a completely different ride now! It pulled the 26p effortlessly. The mid range was unreal! It pulled hard all the way to 5000. Rev limiter is at 5400 and I still had some stick and trim left, so shouldn't be a problem getting it the rest of the way.
    The idle was right at 800 which was a little high I thought. Do any of you remember what yours are at for something similar?
    I also need to move the fuel pressure guage so I can get a more accurate reading. For those that have them, where are yours located? Also, I am looking for one that might just connect to the shrader valve at the front of the fuel rail....anyone know of such an item?
    Sounds great. Congrats. Any idea on what your speed gains are gonna be?
    As for the fuel pressure guage, I'd try Summit maybe.

kevnmcd
    As for speed, I am thinking around 8 mph. That is plenty...for now!

paradigm shift
    Great to see a project completion! Sounds like you are happy with everything, congratulations. Just curious did you take any plug readings? What do you have your fuel pressure set at to start with?
    You may need a gauge that is liquid filled to help dampen the pulses when running if you don't already. Injectors open and closing will cause gauge to fluctuate. I have always just set mine static. I have a test gauge I use for temporary testing and setting and it fluctuates when running. More of a bounce than fluctuation actually.

kevnmcd
    Great to see a project completion! Sounds like you are happy with everything, congratulations. Just curious did you take any plug readings? What do you have your fuel pressure set at to start with?
    You may need a gauge that is liquid filled to help dampen the pulses when running if you don't already. Injectors open and closing will cause gauge to fluctuate. I have always just set mine static. I have a test gauge I use for temporary testing and setting and it fluctuates when running. More of a bounce than fluctuation actually.
    I haven't taken any plugs out yet to see what they look like. I need to get my fuel pressure down. Right now I have my gauge (liquid filled) right at the pump. I need to move it closer to the fuel regulator to get a more accurate reading. I should start with 42 psi and go from there with a max of 45 psi, according to Crockett.
    Next time out I will have all the right tools and do some more testing.

paradigm shift
    Thanks Kevin and if I seem a little prying with detailed questions well it is because I have discussed this set up with Tyler also and have been waiting to see how turn key this is. I will tell you I am real happy that you can FEEL the difference in performance.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast