Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warren Miller "Higher Ground"

Froggystyle
    Going December 2nd in La Jolla.
    Anyone else going??? Supposed to be the return of the flying squirrel suit. Bigger, badder, more squirrelly.
    I live for this every year. Gets me fired up for the snowboarding season. Only bummer is, every time it makes me want to go trying the skis on again.
    So... anyone else going???

RiverOtter
    Going December 18th in La Jolla.
    Anyone else going??? Supposed to be the return of the flying squirrel suit. Bigger, badder, more squirrelly.
    I live for this every year. Gets me fired up for the snowboarding season. Only bummer is, every time it makes me want to go trying the skis on again.
    So... anyone else going???
    I viewed the trailer on his website...... :2purples:

Sleek-Jet
    Warren Miller movies almost make me want to go get the skis out of storage... almost... Miller films rock though. I used to catch them at either the Gas Light of the College theater in Durango when I lived in Colorado.
    I would like winter sports if it were warmer outside and the girls had less clothes on... :idea:

BarryMac
    His films are bad ass, when I lived at Lake Tahoe we use to get special previews of his flicks. It definitely makes me want to strap on the skis again and see if after 17 years off of them if I could do it again...

hoolign
    2-plankers ...I'm one of em too! :rollside:

BarryMac
    2-plankers ...I'm one of em too! :rollside:
    If God wanted you to ski on one board he would've given you one leg, imho...

RiverOtter
    His films are bad ass, when I lived at Lake Tahoe we use to get special previews of his flicks. It definitely makes me want to strap on the skis again and see if after 17 years off of them if I could do it again...
    I took an 8 year break and came back almost as good . Couldn't do bumps worth a crap but then again never was real good at them anyway

Froggystyle
    If God wanted you to ski on one board he would've given you one leg, imho...
    I grew up on skis, skied every weekend at Squaw where the parents had a run-side condo. Loved it.
    Then a funny thing happenned. I traveled to Switzerland and saw this thing that looked like a surfboard/skateboard for the first time. They called it, loosely translated, a "snowboard" and I gave it a try. No edges, all plywood and you clipped in with ski bindings. Little did I know that people in Vermont had done a pretty good job refining the whole deal already. That was 1986.
    After I got back, I ordered a Burton board and started boarding. Funny thing was, nobody had really started doing it on the west coast much yet. I remember vividly being one of only five or so people on the whole slope in Squaw Valley. One of the other guys was a buddy of mine who had bought a Barfoot mail order and neither of us knew how to get on a lift with them. The lifts is Switzerland were rope tows, and you never had to get out of the board to ride them. It took us a couple of spills to figure out how to take the back foot out and make it on a lift. Most people had never seen one before. One other guy was out there with a weird ski too called a "Mono-ski" which was just a big wide ski with bindings really close together.
    Little did I know, that trip was one of the first days Squaw had been open for snowboarders. There was evidently a vocal local contingent of riders that had been lobbying for opening up the park for some time. Who knew???
    I do remember climbing up the back side of "Shirley Lake" from "Cornice I"... (something I never would have done in ski boots but the early Sorel boots I used for snowboarding worked great) and charging down a very steep non-groomed slope with about 1' of powder. After accellerating quietly and smoothly down the whole face I made a really big bottom turn and completely gave my heart to snowboarding. I have not skiied since.
    But, Miller movies always make me want to go find some skis and give it hell again although I am sure that like most other things I have moved on from, I will remember all of the reasons I moved on.
    So... who's going?

Sherpa
    MY buddy from college was from Tahoe City..... my first year in school we
    both racked up about 68 days in tahoe..... ahh, that was a fun year........
    I got to be with the "IN" crowd of locals.... lotsa fun. We lived for the
    Warren Miller movies for a few years........
    And Froggy, I'm envious about the folks condo at Squaw.... we mostly skied
    at Squaw..............
    --Sherpa

BarryMac
    MY buddy from college was from Tahoe City..... my first year in school we
    both racked up about 68 days in tahoe..... ahh, that was a fun year........
    I got to be with the "IN" crowd of locals.... lotsa fun. We lived for the
    Warren Miller movies for a few years........
    And Froggy, I'm envious about the folks condo at Squaw.... we mostly skied
    at Squaw..............
    --Sherpa
    68 days is pretty good, I grew up about 20 miles or so from Tahoe City, I skied every weekend plus had Ski PE on top of going to the hill after school, was a member of the North Lake Tahoe Ski Team and a member of the Junior Ski Patrol, it was my life from the age of 3 until 17 when we moved away, in fact I was watching a TV show the other day while laying on the couch recovering from Knee surgery, the OLN channel was doing a special on Crested Butte, made me want to strap the skis on and try a Helicopter or two...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast