Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original WWI Sopwith Camel on eBay

rrrr
    Wow, check this out. The only remaining Sopwith built Camel on Earth. There are some remaining aircraft built by licensees, but this is the sole factory original.
    Camel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sopwi...yZ63677QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

YeLLowBoaT
    Nice ww1 plane but,
    Pass the crack pipe...... 1.5 mil. Even the 750k is a dream.....
    5 days 12k+ hits and no bids.... I wonder why.....

H20 Toie
    I need that who wants to be partners?

Flashover
    Wow, I wonder if anyone would dare to still fly that thing.

nhbuoy
    ...is that the same plane Snoopy flew?... ...

Sleek-Jet
    If it's authentic... why E-bay???
    And yes, that's Snoopy's airplane.

Liberator TJ1984
    wonder if the machine guns still work ??? :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
    And yes, that's Snoopy's airplane.
    It adds 40mph and 20% of what it should cost. Your right there are alot of better places to sale a plane online. I mean what dummy would buy a plane off ebay? With ebay is all about "is the seller telling the truth?" I don't take anything for face value anymore. that being said It as not been flown since 93 last cert was in 93.....I don't even want to think what it would cost to have this plane recertifed.

RiverToysJas
    I am finding EBAY is bringing much bigger money than the open market classifieds or even trade industry classifieds would bring. I'm not sure why. Case in point (just one example), I know someone who was selling an old Honda ATC. He put it up on some of the ATC Forums and message boards for $900. Sat there a couple of months with little interest. Put it on EBAY, and w/i two weeks it sold for like $1200. I don't totally understand this fanominon, but I have a couple theories as to why it's happening.
    One thing, EBAY often gets news coverage (when there's nothing else to report), and rare items listed sometimes end up on the news. This guy only needs to find one buyer.
    Is $750,000 out of line? I've seen 5 person fiberglass boats listed for more than that, and they have no historical value what so ever. :rollside: At least this plane will always be part of our world, war, & aviation history. :idea:
    RTJas

Jeanyus
    As a military collectible, I would think it's worth 1.5 mill, after all there is only 1 on this planet.
    Why E-bay? Over 8 million buyers on e-bay, In 5 days 12,400 people have looked at the auction. What website, publication, or auction, is going to give you those kind of results? Why not E-bay?
    Any one got 1.5 million they want to loan?
    http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/9d/75/ee_3.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast