Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat damage (not pretty)

Jake W2
    Dan looks like it split right at the roving.Looks like an easy fix you should have no problems doing it your self.
    Duane is that Rogers old Cheyenne?
    Jake

73kona455
    maybe a previously patched area that came apart?.. should be a easy fix.. and as someone else said.. i would reinforce it on the inside too

CompStompinSCS
    Dan, I have never met you but I have fallowed your work for many years. I like the way you try and help everyone with your step by step mods.

bakerjet
    i would think you can fix that,my buddy has 19' daytona he had an accident at possum kingdom lake in texas, tore a long gash in one of the front sponsons and the boat sank in seconds in 90' of water he recovered it 3 days later and it's back to being a solid 90mph boat. i think fiberglass reformations is in pheonix they helped me over the phone, i got their # out of ***boat.
    hey dan on second thought this is a good reason to start looking for that gullwing that i know you want...cuz everybody does.

NELSON#109
    No problem. Use some West System epoxy.
    BE CAREFULL W/ THE WEST SYSTEM... ITS BEEN A WHILE, BUT I KNOW I STOPPED USING IT A LONG TIME AGO... BECAUSE THERE IS A BONDING PROBLEM BETWEEN WEST SYT & POLYESTER RESIN.. ANYHOW, I WOULD USE REGULAR POLY RESIN... THATS THE SCOOP I GOT YEARS AGO FROM A AIRCRAFT FIBERGLASS GUY....
    BTW, THE FLEX AND STRESS CAUSED BY THE THROUGH BOLTS MAY HAVE CAUSED THE DAMAGE, BUT IT DOESNT LOOK THAT WAY TO ME.. IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE THEY KEEPT PART OF THE HULL TOGATHER.... IVE NEVER SEEN ANY PROBLEMS WITH THRU BOLTED TANKS, AND IVE OWNED AND ABUSED AFEW BOATS WITH THEM... IT DOESNT LOOK TO BAD... GET IT FIXED... NELSON#109

EXTREMEBOATS
    :argue: I cant agree more... Stay away from the West crap. Use GP resin and be sure to grind out any delam.... Your repair will be stronger then the rest of the hull. I would use a Bi-Matt in place of the heavy roving used to build the boat. Layer matt "1.5- 2oz" between your Bi-matt and it will be bad to the bone. If you have any questions call, I'll be happy to help.
    Mike :rollside:

Rampager
    Hey Dan, sorry to see you've had some issues, I guess thats what to expect when you try to pull max performance out of something.
    Im sure you can get it fixed up, altho it is too bad its not a writeoff so you have a really good excuse to get an ALUMINUM boat! hehe we don't have these issues, you could fix something like that in a hour with a welder and you'd be back on the water haha
    Good luck with the repair, hope you're 'wet' again soon
    Cheers

b's sanger
    Well.........here it is. This is the aftermath of my last trip to the lake this year.
    First off, I'm pretty sure that the throughbolted fuel tank hardware may have caused this delamination. I'd probably suggest not doing this, unless you know you've got lots of material in that area. Mine was only a 1/4" thick where I drilled to mount em.
    Now the question is.........do you think this is repairable?
    I'm gonna give it a shot, but would be interested to hear your opinions. Keep in mind that I said the glass was only 1/4" thick in the section that's missing. About half of that is gone which means there's only about 1/8" of original glass there now. I guess the question weighing on me now, is if that's enough material to get a good bond to and maintain the structural integrity. At least part of what's left will have to be ground away too so I can get a good surface to bond with.
    I'm not in a position to buy another hull right now (if I was, I'd be setting up a deal with Pat aka Budlight for Misfit). My girlfriend starts a 2 year program to be an RN next month, so needless to say with four kids and only one of us working, money's gonna be a little tight for a while. That means I either make do with what I have now, or go without a boat for a year or two.
    Thus, I make the repairs and see how solid it turns out. If it doesn't look like it'll be safe, "Squirtcha?" gets cut up and my wait for another hull begins.
    Lemmee know whatcha'll think.
    Dan
    Oh yeah, the damage
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/19damage.jpg
    It can be done, trust me.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../2855ouch2.JPG

TIMINATOR
    There was a thread about 6 months ago in which a newbie asked what would be a good, solid, first jet boat for the family. In my reply I repeated a term used by a known boat builder, "potato-chip" hull. Many of you climbed all over me for using that term when all I was doing was trying to give a little asked for advice from the standpoint of someone who has been HOT boating for over 30 years. Since I didn't get any apologies from those who belittled me for my re-use of that term, I won't offer any either. Dan, this is in no way personal, too bad that your boat had to be the example. To those of you that directed me to this thread, you were right, it was interesting. TIMM

b's sanger
    There was a thread about 6 months ago in which a newbie asked what would be a good, solid, first jet boat for the family. In my reply I repeated a term used by a known boat builder, "potato-chip" hull. Many of you climbed all over me for using that term when all I was doing was trying to give a little asked for advice from the standpoint of someone who has been HOT boating for over 30 years. Since I didn't get any apologies from those who belittled me for my re-use of that term, I won't offer any either. Dan, this is in no way personal, too bad that your boat had to be the example. To those of you that directed me to this thread, you were right, it was interesting. TIMM
    That made as much sense as tits on a bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast