Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: choosing a 540-598 engine questions

Jim W
    Wow busby--- you are a mean person
    Be good, Jim

Wow busby--- you are a mean person
    Be good, Jim
    Not mean Jim ... just factual ... I was trying to help ... that's all ...
    Sorry if it came off mean ... didn't mean it that way.
    you came here asking for opinions ... I gave one from experience trying to answer your question about using your current equipment:
    I would look into a 4.5 bore, 3.766 crank (your 427/396 crank), 6.135 rod ... you end up with a 479" motor ... a high reving big bore motor ... great set up IMO ... and you can still use your heads & all ... cheaper build for you.
    You came back with:
    I dont know if I have ever seen that before. Which makes it hard to put together a proven parts package. I would much rather copy someones sorted out BBC than try to figure out what will work the best for this combo.
    and:
    And to be honest with ya, I wouldnt mind having them do the assy. I have put toghether hundreds of motors but these guys are cutting edge and daily assemble Pro-Mod engines. I think they might be a little better at than me.
    Sorry, maybe your response to an honest answer from someone who was trying to help wasn't taken as being very nice as well.
    Again ... not trying to be mean ... just trying to help.
    Good luck.
    Brian

MikeF
    God Brian.........your such an ass. :crossx:

steelcomp
    I agree with Brian, 100%. He just answered Jim W's question, and after reading the thread, I thought, "gee...the guy asks a question, gets a well thought out answer, then proceeds to dis the answer. Whydya ask? You already seem to know the answer, and you're obviously FAR more experienced than the rest of us."
    BTW...bigger is definately not better in a small boat like your flatty. Big bore, short stroke combinations like Brian was talking about are readily "proven" combinations. Well, at least among those who aren't interested in "bragging" numbers, or who think for themselves.
    Ah, hell, Brian, WTF do we know?
    Jim W...you sound like the kind of guy who would complain about wanting to get drunk and laid, and after someone brought you a girl and handed you a bottle of booze, you'd complain because they didn't pull her panties down and uncork the bottle!
    Good luck!

Carnivalride
    Sometimes bigger isn't better ... we were running a 468 (454 - .060 over) hurt it ... stepped back to a 440 (427 - .060 over) and it ran quicker.
    Your set up has a lot to do with it.
    I like the 396/427 ... great motor because the geometry is better due to the wrist pin sitting higher in the piston ... you'll get more RPM than a bigger motor ... the bigger motor should give you more touque though.
    I would look into a 4.5 bore, 3.766 crank (your 427/396 crank), 6.135 rod ... you end up with a 479" motor ... a high reving big bore motor ... great set up IMO ... and you can still use your heads & all ... cheaper build for you.
    Busby,
    Out of curiosity why did you recommend the 6.135” long rod for this 479cid deal? I looked at doing something similar to this and was going to use a 6.385” long rod and 1.520” wrist pin height pistons (stock rod 4.25 stroke) to save a little weight and cash (off the shelf pistons). If I figured right you would still have .012” to deck the block for a “zero” deck height. Do you not like changing the rod ratio from 1.629 to 1.695 or is there some other reason I didn’t consider? Just asking.
    Loren

WETTE VETTE
    If you decide to go with a tall deck motor I have a complete induction system for sale that includes flame arrestor, BIG Nickerson carb, spacer, regulator, fuel lines, throttle linkage plate and match ported Dart single plane intake. I ran it on my 10:1 598 and it worked great! I am going to a tunnel ram and would like to sell the single carb set up. Let me know if interested and good luck!
    Craig

blowngas
    Flats seem to like a high rpm engine----big bores and small strokes seem to be the hot ticket in these boats

Busby,
    Out of curiosity why did you recommend the 6.135” long rod for this 479cid deal? I looked at doing something similar to this and was going to use a 6.385” long rod and 1.520” wrist pin height pistons (stock rod 4.25 stroke) to save a little weight and cash (off the shelf pistons). If I figured right you would still have .012” to deck the block for a “zero” deck height. Do you not like changing the rod ratio from 1.629 to 1.695 or is there some other reason I didn’t consider? Just asking.
    Loren
    Loren ... got your PM ... I was trying to give the guy a direction where he could save some cash ... I thought he was on a budget from the way the original post sounded ... could find the 454 rods for cheap.

Flats seem to like a high rpm engine----big bores and small strokes seem to be the hot ticket in these boats
    That's why I was trying to help him with what he had ... big bore high RPM motor ...

Ah, hell, Brian, WTF do we know?
    exactly ... I'm just another guy tryin' to make the other guy look slow ... maybe I should call the guys who have "proven packages" :messedup:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast