Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1959 Lincoln help needed

Sleek-Jet
    Thanks but I really wanna use the stock unit. Will it leak out the rod if pluger is bad?
    Yes. The plunger is what seals the pump cavity. If fuel leaks around it, it'll leak out the shaft.
    The E-brok performers are a copy of the AFB. All the parts and tunning techniques work on both. E-brok makes all the parts to rebuild these carbs, so it's no problem finding what ever piece you need.
    I've got E-brok/AFB's on all my street vehicles and have had good luck with them. I prefer 'em over Holleys for everyday type of work.

HOSS
    Thanks sleek. Got a guy on a plunger now. What else am I looking at. No much of a rebuild it seems. Pop the top and clean. Is there a kit? What to look for, I`m going in now. Might as well do it right ,,,,,,one time.

Moneypitt
    Hoss, pull the metering rods out before you pull the top off. They are spring loaded up and held in by the little irregular shaped caps with small screws holding the caps down. You will never get the top back on with the rods in place. After the top is secured you can feed the rods back in place one at a time and secure with cap/screw. These rods are very small at the ends and bend easily if not feed into the jet at the bottom of the chamber. Also, I think the Edelbrock carbs are fashioned after the carter AVS carb, not the original AFB of the 50s and early 60s. The acc pumps are different sizes over the years and the Edelbrock replacement parts do not fit all. Also beware of the acc circuit check ball under the squirter, this could be an area of corosion,(plugged up), and a reason the squirt comes out the top as it has no where else to go.....MP

Sleek-Jet
    Thanks sleek. Got a guy on a plunger now. What else am I looking at. No much of a rebuild it seems. Pop the top and clean. Is there a kit? What to look for, I`m going in now. Might as well do it right ,,,,,,one time.
    Just clean things up good... check the float levels by turning the top upside down and placing a 7/16" drill bit under the outside tip of the float, it should just barely fit. If it doesn't, bend the float till it does. How's that for scientific???
    The needle on the float inlet, at least on the E-brocks, is some sort of rubber, might check those to make sure they haven't deteriorated.
    I usually blow carb cleaner down through the jet passages and what not.
    If you can ever figure out what size of carb it is, you can pick up a calibration kit from E-brok, it will have all the springs, metering rods, and jet's you'll need.
    The link I posted has all the adjustment info and a parts diagram.

Sleek-Jet
    Hoss.. does it look like this
    AFB
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...id=10169&stc=1
    or this
    AVS
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...id=10170&stc=1
    If it looks like the AFB, my appologies for leading you in the wrong direction.

HOSS
    Looks more like the top but not quite. It looks just like a Holley with boosters.

Sleek-Jet
    Looks more like the top but not quite. It looks just like a Holley with boosters.
    You gotta pic of that bad boy???

blowngas
    like a Holley with boosters
    sounds like a FoMoCo carb----they were on quite a few vehicles of that era----they would work, but that's about all you could say about them---better off replacing it with holley 650

spectras only
    Hoss , the tranny is a twin range turbo cast iron unit . Indestructable to say the least . The 60's came with the 430 cu blue printed engine , changed to 462 in 65 on .1968 was the 460 for the Mark III . Mark II in the late 50's had the smaller engine .The Premier had the 430 I believe .Good luck scrounging parts for it , especially OEM pistons. I'll check the carb application when I get home . Here's my 64 I had it for 26 yrs as my tow vehicle for the jet boat http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/s...colln666.1.jpg

HOSS
    Thanks bro,,but the numbers check
    Origianal carb,,,fucj,,,,,,,its got boosters no doubt,,,,,,,,,carter afb,,,,,fbfhgs;ihgbw im dinkin now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast