Thread: Belmont flaty

Belmont flaty

I PICKED ONE OFF ON FLEEBAY LOOKS LIKE IT CAME OUT OF A SANGER MOLD DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT any CONNECTION-S PEOPLE PLACES AND THINGS MAYBE SOME ENTANGLEMET AROUND 71 OR SO I FIND THIS INTERESTING and would anyone know around how many flats were sold at least wearing the belmont badge

I own a 69 Belmont and it has been in my family since 1977. Belmont was a small boat company based in Fresno on Belmont Ave. They turned out only custom ordered hulls and each one was hand built. My recollection after talking to my uncle who knew the shop well was something like 10 or 12 custom boats per year were made. Sanger was a rival boat shop building mostly crossover ski/race boats. A lot of the early Belmonts came with thorobred v-drives often with straight cut gears. My hull is 20 feet long and sits very low in the water. These were extremely stable boats for racing as they were low and wide in the water. I'm in the process of restoring the boat to it's glory. The original owner had it set up for a Ford 427 side oiler that he blew up racing. Then put the 390 out of his tow truck into it, put the original seats in it and sold it to my dad.