Thread: Hydro Tie-down on Long Trip

Hydro Tie-down on Long Trip

I purchased a Cole Hydro and will be towing it over 1K miles this week. The paint on the boat was previously damaged by securing the stern with tie-down strap over the deck. I would like to avoid further damage to the boat so I'm looking for advice. The current owner seems to use straps around the prop shaft. Perhaps he learned from the previous mistake or is this still inappropriate. My logic is that the shaft strut is likely designed to take a beating since it can handle the power of acceleration (prop walk and forward thrust). Would it be appropriate to use a strap from the strut to the trailer frame to secure the rear of the boat to the trailer? I'm trying to minimize the trailer to boat rub caused by bouncing.

Sorry if this subject has already been discussed. I did a search and didn't find anything but I'm not sure I'm using the correct language.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by Hydro Fever; 06-18-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro Fever View Post
    I purchased a Cole Hydro and will be towing it over 1K miles this week. The paint on the boat was previously found here with damaged by securing the stern with tie-down strap over the deck. I would like to find more ike these to avoid further damage to the boat so I'm looking for advice. The current owner seems to use straps around the prop shaft. Perhaps he learned from the previous mistake or is this still inappropriate. My logic is that the shaft strut is likely designed to take a beating since it can the power of acceleration (prop walk and forward thrust). Would it be appropriate to use a strap from the strut to the trailer frame to secure the rear of the boat to the trailer? I'm trying to minimize the trailer to boat rub caused by bouncing.

Sorry if this subject has already been discussed. I did a search and didn't find anything but I'm not sure I'm using the correct language.

Thanks,
    Steve
    This is quite old post and I don't know if you still need the advice, but if you still do, please post in this forum and maybe, I can help.
    Last edited by RonnieGreenberg; 10-25-2023 at 11:27 AM.