Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb question- Signs of blown power valve?

Turboelimtim
    Did you experience a backfire? Typically something has to rupture the PV diaphram, unless of course it is just really old.
    My engine had a pretty big backfire last time I was out. Then it would not hold an idle. I really had to nurse the throttle to keep it running. It seemed to run a little better above 2000 - 2500 RPM. I was to nervous running it any higher since I didn't really know what was wrong. I nursed back to the ramp and got it home. After pulling the carb apart, I found the power valve was ruptured. It was leaking alot of fuel back into the manifold at idle choking out the engine. I just put another one in and it solved the problem. If your symptoms are similar to what I described, you may want to try a new PV. Even if you buy another carb, it would be good to know if a blown PV really was the problem.
    Tim

watergun4u
    i agree with all above ,but you said that your timing was at 35 degreese, is that base timing or is that at full advance, if it is set at 35 base thats way to much, should be between 8 and 12 degrees at base and around 35 at full advance, so you might want to change that first, if at 35 base, that will cause motor not to start well at all!!!!!!

stashtrey
    Thanks for all the feedback here.
    I had the timing set at 35 at 3,000 rpm's as far as I know. I did not do it myself. When the engine was running it sounded pretty good....
    I'm thinking that as Old Squirt said... the float/needle causing the problems. The reason I think that is because the mechanic said it had a lot of gas in the cylinders when I brought the boat to them. They got the gas out, set the timing and got the thing started. At that point they said it was good enough to run but suggested that my carb could be leaking and I should think about a replacement.
    Mind you.... I was pressuring the guy to just get it running as I was in a hurry and had a trip planned..... they definitely told me that the carb seemed to be leaking and that might have been the cause of all the fuel in the cylinders.
    They called me and said it was running and I went to pick it up... they took me to the boat and attempted to start it again and got the same thing. Several attempts went by and they pulled the plugs and they were black and you could smell the fuel pretty easily. The blew the plugs dry with an air hose and then we turned the motor over to get any fuel out. They then were able to get it going but it wasn't exactly easy. So.... I take it home with the suggestion that my carb has some issues.
    I replace the plugs and then go to the river to run it and I get the same thing.... coughing a little but no start. Backfire out the carb several times. REmove plugs and they are black and covered in gas. Try to dry the plugs as best I could and turned motor over again to get gas out of cylinders. After several more attempts the engine finally coughs to life.... I let it get up to temp and go to give it some throttle and it starts going just fine..... then when I really get into it it just coughs and bogs out.... I couldn't get it to go high in the rpm's without it bogging and stopping.
    I put it back on the trailer.... attempted to start it one more time and I got absolutely nothing. Not even a cough or a sputter.
    That's the last that I messed with it.
    What could cause the engine to bog out like that when it is idling just fine? I could gas it hard and it sounded strong but once I got high in the rpms it would just bog out.
    I don't think it's my spark.... that seemed to be fine once I got the motor running....
    Does everything lead to my carb?
    The Edelbrock came in the mail today. I guess I'll have to wait and see if that was the problem.
    Another strange thing I noticed was that when I installed the Pertronix I noticed that the mechanism in the distributor below the points/Pertronix device had a small spring that was disconnected. Could this be a big problem as well? I'm not sure what to think as once the motor was running it idled just fine and seemed to be firing okay.
    Jeez... sorry for this novel. This crap is driving me crazy.

spectras only
    Thanks for all the feedback here.
    The Edelbrock came in the mail today. I guess I'll have to wait and see if that was the problem.
    Another strange thing I noticed was that when I installed the Pertronix I noticed that the mechanism in the distributor below the points/Pertronix device had a small spring that was disconnected. Could this be a big problem as well? I'm not sure what to think as once the motor was running it idled just fine and seemed to be firing okay.
    Jeez... sorry for this novel. This crap is driving me crazy.
    The Edelbrock [ weber carb ] will work just fine . You should have a light primary and a heavy secondary spring under the breaker plate .The secondary [ heavy ] spring should have an alongated eye on one end to allow the advance to come on quick .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12