Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disc or drum brakes??

fkeys
    Do you have/prefer disc or drum brakes? I was thinking of putting hydraulic, surge discs on the trailer. Alot of trailers have drums, but with the ease of maintenance - it seems the discs are a much better choice. Any comments or suggestions?

Panic Button
    Drums are cheaper to install, disc are about double the initial cost.

bubbletop409
    Disc brakes are current technology, drums belong in a museum. Discs provide much better braking power, and seem to be less affected by water immersion. They do generate more heat though, and you may want to choose your wheel bearing grease accordingly. If your travels include long down hill grades, disc brake wheel bearing grease is a much better choice. Also discs are much easier to service when necessary.

Beer-30
    Honestly, I didn't think they even offered drums on current builds. I haven't seen a late-model trailer with drums in a long time.
    If you get discs, you probably won't touch them for the duration of your ownership. They ususally come with a 5-year initial warranty against bearing failure, and pad wear is minimal.
    Drums you would have off to check for wear and seized components ever other year.

fkeys
    Drums are cheaper to install, disc are about double the initial cost.
    Funny thing - I priced drum setups thru etrailers and Champion trailers. Drums were only about $20 cheaper! Needless to say, I got the vented rotor disc setup.
    Anyone out there put suspension under their trailers?? I'm looking for pointers, as I plan on cutting everything off at the hangers and replace axles, springs, shackles, equalizers, etc. What I'm concerned with is making sure to get everything square so the trailer tracks straight. I was thinking of triangulating the tips of the spindles to the tongue and maintaining the distance between the axles. Is there an industry standard on doing this?

fkeys
    Hey Beer - My parents were raised in Taft! Most of my family is still there or in Bakersfield.
    You ever been to Kal Koncepts/Air Syndicate? Cool airbrush work.

Beer-30
    You ever been to Kal Koncepts/Air Syndicate? Cool airbrush work.
    Nope. Not been there. Heard of it, though.

DelawareDave
    Anyone out there put suspension under their trailers?? I'm looking for pointers, as I plan on cutting everything off at the hangers and replace axles, springs, shackles, equalizers, etc. What I'm concerned with is making sure to get everything square so the trailer tracks straight. I was thinking of triangulating the tips of the spindles to the tongue and maintaining the distance between the axles. Is there an industry standard on doing this?
    When I built my new trailer, I laid out the spring hangers first, prior to anything. Triangulate the hangers to the hitch ball, particularly the first one on each side. If you buy new axles, and have to weld on the spring perches, locate the brake mounting pads equal distance from the frame rails, left and right. That will center the axles. The spring hangers will locate them front to back. My trailer tracks nicely. The build is documented in my gallery, and here.
    Trailer Build (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...oject+hawaiian)

fkeys
    Thanks for the advice. I checked out your other post - nice work!
    A lot of manufactures recommend putting the brakes on the rear axle due to some weight transfer during braking. Any advice on that? Seems to me tire skid would be less if the brakes were installed on the front axle. All the trailers I've towed lock-up the rear tires - loaded or not.

Beer-30
    Thanks for the advice. I checked out your other post - nice work!
    A lot of manufactures recommend putting the brakes on the rear axle due to some weight transfer during braking. Any advice on that? Seems to me tire skid would be less if the brakes were installed on the front axle. All the trailers I've towed lock-up the rear tires - loaded or not.
    As in the pic, mine has front and rear axle brakes.
    Most of the top of the tandems have both axles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast