Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: disc or drum brakes??

dumbandyoung
    yah i dunno any builders still using disc...go with disc money ahead go with the brake controller too!.. its great for hills.. you wont feel the trailer pushing you down steep hills

RitcheyRch
    I had brakes installed on my trailer earlier this year. I went with disc brakes. They offered drums for about $25 a side cheaper.

bubbletop409
    My triple axle trailer has discs on the front two axles, and they look and stop like new after five seasons.

YeLLowBoaT
    Disc brakes are current technology, drums belong in a museum. Discs provide much better braking power, and seem to be less affected by water immersion. They do generate more heat though, and you may want to choose your wheel bearing grease accordingly. If your travels include long down hill grades, disc brake wheel bearing grease is a much better choice. Also discs are much easier to service when necessary.
    If disks are so great then why do almost all comm'l trucks use drums?
    Its simple you can get more surface area to diameter then you can with disks. If your running 15" or bigger wheels you won't run have a prob, but if your runing say 14"( old school) you will get better breaking from drums then disks. Also there is more mass to drums then disk... so it takes more to heat them up.
    I'm not saying I would not get disk, but there is nothing wrong with drums...In some cases they are actaully a better choice.

sawtooth
    Does anybody know if there is a company out there that makes a kit that will convert a trailer that currently has drums over to disk (bolt on maybe) Thanks.

Jetaholic
    I'm currently having a tandem axle trailer built for my boat and it has discs on it. Think about it...when you sink that trailer to launch, all that water that gets in the drums...it stays in there for a period of time, rusting parts and what not. With discs, they're exposed to the open air, so most of the water just drips right off of them. Tap the brakes a few times and the rotors are dry!
    Just my $0.02.

HOTPURSUIT
    Does anybody know if there is a company out there that makes a kit that will convert a trailer that currently has drums over to disk (bolt on maybe) Thanks.
    Pacific Trailers in Chino 909-902-0094 has a disc brake conversion (drum to disc) kit available. Good Luck

HOTPURSUIT
    If disks are so great then why do almost all comm'l trucks use drums?
    Its simple you can get more surface area to diameter then you can with disks. If your running 15" or bigger wheels you won't run have a prob, but if your runing say 14"( old school) you will get better breaking from drums then disks. Also there is more mass to drums then disk... so it takes more to heat them up.
    I'm not saying I would not get disk, but there is nothing wrong with drums...In some cases they are actaully a better choice.
    exactly right... i think disc brakes are much better for a boat trailer application.. being that they are all exposed and easy to access/rinse off, etc.

supersoaker509
    I have done the conversion many times.
    Check out http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm

dumbandyoung
    just a few more bucks for disc...do it.. drums are bad for when u dump them in water

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast