Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: when to change the impeller?

laveydayz
    How often do most of you change your impellers? I have heard so many different opinions on this. We are going out this weekend and have not had the chance to get this done. The boat has been in storage since November. The boat was completed in June 05' and only has 30hrs. I am concerned as peeps have been telling me that I should have had this done?? What are my chances of having a problem?? Thanks in advance!

Tom Brown
    You can get years out of an impellor if you never start the engine dry.
    ... or about 30 seconds of dry running.
    ... so if you're one of these people who doesn't mind starting the engine with no muffs and hose if it's "only for a few seconds", the odds of having a problem are quite real. If you never start it dry, I have little doubt you could get 100 hours out of it without giving it the first thought.

Gilligan
    I change mine every 4 years. I do not run it dry either.

laveydayz
    You can get years out of an impellor if you never start the engine dry.
    ... or about 30 seconds of dry running.
    ... so if you're one of these people who doesn't mind starting the engine with no muffs and hose if it's "only for a few seconds", the odds of having a problem are quite real. If you never start it dry, I have little doubt you could get 100 hours out of it without giving it the first thought.
    Thats what I was thinking...we have never started the boat dry. My buddy was saying that it should be changed every spring after winter storage. He had me worried!

Jetdriver
    I would say that if your in So cal where it can be 30 degress one day and 100 the next you might want to change it once a year. I believe thats what my buddies do with theres. Cheap insurance really!

OutCole'd
    I change mine before every season. And I don't run my motor dry either. I did try to do it every other season on my last boat and the first season that I did not change it, it broke up on the 3rd time out. Thanks to Savage Marine, I was back in the water in a couple of hours.

Quality Time
    How often you suck up sand or run in silty water will weigh heavely on the life of an impeller as well.

Gilligan
    I would say that if your in So cal where it can be 30 degress one day and 100 the next you might want to change it once a year. I believe thats what my buddies do with theres. Cheap insurance really!
    Temp change should not matter. I gets well below Zero here in the winter.

Jbb
    Ignore Brown.....every spring....

Big Kahunaa
    alot of times during storage the rubber sticks to the case and when you start them up they will rip the fins off of them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast