Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump shaft

mares98
    Trying to figure out what the maximum h.p a non AQ pumpshaft is capable of handling?

600-650 is about all you should put to a stock berk shaft. What kind of shaft is it?
    How is the CP running?

sdba069
    Hey CS-19........ We just changed out the shaft on our blown alky Placecraft after finding the spline twisted. After having it checked, found out it was just a standard Berk shaft. We've run that same shaft in that boat for over 10 years, a lot of that time with the blown alky motor in it running high 7's. Not recommending that anyone try this, just thought it would make interesting reading. We replaced it with a 17-4 Agg. shaft.

Woah, someone missed something there when that pump went togethor,its good you caught that.Its amazing that thing held up that long with a BA engine. Ive seen guys like HBjet go a season or 2 on a G shaft with like 750 hp but they were pretty careful about keeping the pump loaded.I personally would not chance it.
    Another example...Our SWTD twisted the stock shaft with an iron headed 12:1 454, tunnel ram w/ 2 660s,hyd. camshaft, probably made 650 on a really good day.

mares98
    :rollside: 600-650 is about all you should put to a stock berk shaft. What kind of shaft is it?
    How is the CP running?
    Not too familiar with some shafts. when I had my pump apart I had a hard time identifying. Have a a.q laying around that came out of a berkley however my current set up is a dominator. are they compatible??? Pump was assembled by mpd some years ago and possibly my current shaft is fine. Would like to confirm for sure though. c.p is down to a bare hull in favor of a complete makeover, including a new mill. :rollside:

Duane HTP
    The shafts are inter changable. Sometimes the Dominator shafts need a spacer ring on them between the bearing and the snap ring.

mares98
    Thanks, courious to know if other performance pumpshafts exist besides a.q as I have previously been running one (non a.q) in a supercharged combination?

poncho-pwr
    I was told that the older stock Dominator shafts are much stronger than a stock Berk shaft. Is that true? I would also like to know how to tell the differences between stock, AQ, and 17-4ph shafts. Which is which and which one is the strongest. I might as well find out now since I will be rebuilding the whole damn boat sooner instead of later because it sank today!!!!!!!!!!

American Turbine Man
    "The shafts are inter changable. Sometimes the Dominator shafts need a spacer ring on them between the bearing and the snap ring.
    I was told that the older stock Dominator shafts are much stronger than a stock Berk shaft. Is that true? "
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>
    All Dominator and American pump shafts require a "thrust washer" as well as the Berkeley AQ shaft.
    In the past 1976-2005 all Dominator shafts were made from a 400 series which has a tensile strength of 90,000 to 105,000 psi vs. Berkeley's std. shaft at 75,000 psi (300 series)
    All Dominator jets are now standard with 17-4PH 175,000 psi tensile.
    ATM
    <*))))><{

mares98
    "The shafts are inter changable. Sometimes the Dominator shafts need a spacer ring on them between the bearing and the snap ring.
    I was told that the older stock Dominator shafts are much stronger than a stock Berk shaft. Is that true? "
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>
    All Dominator and American pump shafts require a "thrust washer" as well as the Berkeley AQ shaft.
    In the past 1976-2005 all Dominator shafts were made from a 400 series which has a tensile strength of 90,000 to 105,000 psi vs. Berkeley's std. shaft at 75,000 psi (300 series)
    All Dominator jets are now standard with 17-4PH 175,000 psi tensile.
    ATM
    <*))))><{Thanks for the valuable information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast